Mappillai (2011 film)
Mappillai (English: Son-in-law) is a 2011 Tamil romantic action comedy film directed by Suraj, starring Dhanush as the son-in-law and Manisha Koirala as the mother-in-law with Hansika Motwani, in her Tamil debut, playing her daughter. The film is a remake of the 1989 film of the same name, which itself was remake of Telugu film Attaku Yamudu Ammayiki Mogudu .Distributed by Sun Pictures, it was released on 8 April 2011. The film received mixed reviews, but was declared a hit at the box office.It completed its 50 days of theatrical run.
|Produced by||Nemichand Jhabak|
|Music by||Mani Sharma|
|Cinematography||S. R. Sathish Kumar|
|Edited by||Kishore Te.|
|Distributed by||Sun Pictures|
Saravanan (Dhanush) is a do-gooder who is soft-spoken and admired by one and all. Child Chinna (Vivek) is the head of the Namitha Fan Club in his area. The two come across Gayathri (Hansika Motwani), the daughter of arrogant businesswoman Rajeshwari (Manisha Koirala). Chinna falls for her, so he tries several plans to get close to her, but in vain. Gayathri falls for Saravanan after he saved her from an accident. Coming to know of their affair, Rajeshwari decides to get them both married. The reason is that she is keen on getting a son-in-law who will always do what she wants and be under her control. However, she is in for a shock when she comes to know that Saravanan has a past. He is a ruffian and is feared by one and all. Now she plans to halt all plans, while Saravanan overcomes her plans with ease. At last, he comes to know that Rajeshwari had humiliated his parents (Pattimandram Raja and Sriranjini) when they ask her to accompany them to their village festival. He makes a plan to take her whole family to his village and make them stay there in his ancestral house with the help of Rajeshwari's astrologer (Manobala), and further, he plans to arrange for his sister's (Dr. Sharmila) marriage with Rajeshwari's son. He tricks Chinna to act a wealthy businessman James Pandian, to which Chinna agrees. After some time, Rajeshwari knows the truth about James and insults him and his family in front of the whole village and leaves. Later, she and Gayathri are caught by some goons, so Saravanan saves them and reconciles with his family.
- Dhanush as Saravanan
- Hansika Motwani as Gayathri (Voice dubbed by Savitha Reddy)
- Manisha Koirala as Rajeshwari (Voice dubbed by Rohini)
- Vivek as Child Chinna / James Pandiyan / Youth
- Pattimandram Raja as Saravanan's father
- Sriranjini as Saravanan's mother
- Dr. Sharmila as Saravanan's sister
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Devaraj
- Sathyan Sivakumar as Chinna's friend
- Manobala as Rajeshwari's astrologer
- Chitti Babu as Rajeshwari's PA
- Madhan Bob as Rajeshwari's assistant
- Thyagu as Chinna's assistant
- Dhandapani as Industrialist
- Baba Bhaskar special appearance in the song "Onnu Rendu"
Rohit Ramachandran of nowrunning.com gave it 3/5 stating that the film was Good entertaining with mixed comedy and action." Behindwoods.com gave 2.75 out of 5 giving the verdict "this Mappillai entertains in parts" and stating "Mapillai suffers from weak characterization but still how manages to keep entertain." Rediff gave 2.5 out of 5 describing it a "gOOD copy of the original", further adding that it was "just spice, humour, and plenty of silliness thrown in for good entertainment", while Sify stated that "it was a Romcom remake BUT Still requires some moments". Times of India gave 3 out of 5 and stated that "If you are among those for whom 'Mappillai' holds a lot of nostalgia, give the latest version a miss."
The film was said to have taken a good opening at the box office. At the Mayajaal multiplex on the ECR, the film had 33 shows per day and had collected a net of Rs 15.35 lakhs, in its opening weekend. Its three-week collection in Chennai was Rs. 4.12 Crore with 56% occupancy at 90 theatres.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||11 March 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Mani Sharma chronology|
The soundtrack is scored by Mani Sharma. Audio was launched on 11 March 2011 at Kamarajar Arangam with Jayam Ravi and Bharath participating as guests, telecasted on Sun TV on 27 March 2011. The audio was marketed by Sony Music India.
|1.||"Aaru Padai"||Viveka||Vijay Yesudas & Mukesh||04:56|
|2.||"Love Love (not featured in the film)"||Snehan||Rahul Nambiar & Rita||04:41|
|3.||"Onnu Rendu"||Pa. Vijay||Mukesh & Saindhavi||04:23|
|4.||"Ready Readya"||Snehan||Ranjith & Saindhavi||04:31|
|5.||"Ennoda Raasi*"||Gangai Amaran||Ranjith||04:26|
|6.||"Ready Readya (Remix)"||Snehan||Ranjith||03:45|
- "Manisha is Dhanush's mother-in-law". Indiaglitz. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Chennai Box Office - April 29 to May 1, 2011". Sify.com. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- mappillai review, nowrunning.com, 8 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- "mappillai review". nowrunning.com.
- "MAPPILLAI MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Mappillai is a bad copy of the original". Rediff.com. 8 April 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- 'Mappillai' a sloppy remake, Sify.com, 10 April 2011, retrieved 16 September 2011
- N Venkateswaran, TNN, 16 Apr 2011, 01.11PM IST (16 April 2011). "Mappillai movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 September 2011.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Mappillai takes a super opening". 13 April 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Mappillai - Behindwoods.com - Tamil Top Ten Movies - Mappillai Ko Vaanam". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "audio launch telecasting". 23 March 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Dhanush's Mappillai audio launched". Sify.com. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.