|Born||31 July 1984|
Experimental popular music
|Associated acts||Manu Delago Handmade|
Manu Delago was born in Innsbruck, Tyrol, and took music lessons as a child in accordion and piano. As a teenager he mainly played drums for various rock bands. In 2003 he picked up the Hang, which gradually turned into one of his main musical instruments.
After graduating from the Mozarteum, Innsbruck, in classical percussion, Delago moved to London and studied jazz drums at the Guildhall School of Music & Drama, beginning his focus on the Swiss instrument, Hang. Later he studied composition at the Trinity College of Music in London. After completing his studies, he worked as a composer, ensemble leader and musician. Since 2007 he has performed internationally in more than forty countries on six continents and provided music for film.
Between 2000 and 2007 Manu Delago was working as live and studio drummer for various Austrian bands such as HotchPotch, Zabine, Michael Tschuggnall, Nadine Beiler, Bluatschink and Jazzwerkstatt Wien.
In 2006, after playing together in different bands, Manu Delago and Christoph Pepe Auer founded the first Hang and Bass Clarinet duo in the world called Living Room. The duo has released two albums and a YouTube series called Hang & Bass Clarinet Megahits. In the project "Living Room in London", they were joined by a string trio from London, including Ellie Fagg, Tom Norris and Gregor Riddell.
His current live band Manu Delago Handmade is a versatile quartet with a notable dynamic spectrum between electronic beats and acoustic instruments such as Hang, bassoon, violin, piano and percussion. Delago has also collaborated with artists including Anoushka Shankar, Shpongle, Bugge Wesseltoft, Giannis Charoulis, Nitin Sawhney, Stuart McCallum, Cevanne Horrocks-Hopayian, Boris Grebenshchikov, Georg Breinschmid and Björk. His solo piece Mono Desire was listed in the Top30 best-rated music videos on YouTube.
- 2018 - Manu Delago - Parasol Peak
- 2018 - Manu Delago - Metromonk Unplugged EP
- 2017 - Manu Delago - Metromonk
- 2015 - Manu Delago - Silver Kobalt
- 2013 - Manu Delago - Bigger Than Home
- 2012 - Manu Delago & London Symphony Orchestra strings - Manuscripts
- 2010 - Living Room (Christoph Pepe Auer & Manu Delago) - Colouring Book
- 2010 - Manu Delago - Made in Silence 2
- 2008 - Manu Delago - Adventions
- 2007 - Manu Delago - Handmade
- 2007 - Christoph Pepe Auer & Manu Delago - Living Room
- 2006 - Manu Delago - Made in Silence
- 2016 - Land of Gold album by Aoushka Shankar
- 2013 - The Epiphany of Mrs Kugla - Shpongle
- 2013 - A long way - Andreya Triana
- 2013 - Traces of You - Anoushka Shankar
- 2011 - Virus - Björk
- 2009 - Nothing is something worth doing - Shpongle
- 2009 - Live in Concert - Shpongle (DVD)
- 2008 - Arigato - Boris Grebenshchikov
- 2014 - Secret Corridor (hang, electronics & string quartet)
- 2012 - Concertino Grosso (hang & string orchestra)
- 2012 - CHS (hang & female choir in six parts)
- 2011 - Chaos_Equalibrium (string quartet & dance)
- 2010 - Why does one hide from six? (Würfelspiel für gemischtes Ensemble - dice game for a mixed ensemble)
- 2009 - Pencilphonie No. 1 in Hb2 (a self-portrait for pencil, eraser & sharpener)
- 2009 - 5 ft 12 (Marimba solo)
- 2009 - Los Cepillos de Dientes (music for 2 acoustic toothbrushes)
- 2007 - If you’re really right, will be proved by the light (3 players on 2 marimbas)
- Adams, Rob (8 Aug 2008). "Living Room, Sweet Teviot Place". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- Stefanie Bramböck, Stefanie (2010). Die Wiener Jazzszene: Eine Musikszene Zwischen Selbsthilfe und Institution (Digitized online by GoogleBooks). p. 27. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Mostra Internacional de Cinema em São Paulo (Digitized online by GoogleBooks). Museu de Arte de São Paulo Assis Chateaubriand. 2007. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "DATES". manudelago.com. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Johannes Luxner (2018-07-19). "Schamane mit Netzwerk". www.zeit.de (in German). Retrieved 2018-08-10.
- "Manu Delago Homepage". Retrieved 2018-08-10.