Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries
This biographical article is written like a résumé. (February 2017)
Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries is a Dutch psychologist, Professor of leadership development and organizational change at INSEAD, and consultant. He is best known for bringing a different view to the much-studied subjects of leadership and the dynamics of individual and organizational change. In 2009, he was rated amongst the Top 50 Thinkers in Management.
|Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries|
|Education||University of Amsterdam
Harvard Business School
Officier in de Orde van Oranje Nassau (Netherlands)
Kets de Vries received a master's degree in Economics in 1966) from the University of Amsterdam; an International Teachers Program certificate in 1967, his M.B.A. in 1968, and his D.B.A. in 1970 from Harvard Business School. He also received training from the Canadian Psychoanalytic Society, where he has been a member since 1982. He is also a member of the International Psychoanalytic Association and a corresponding member of the Paris Psychoanalytical Society.
Kets de Vries had held professorships at McGill University, the École des Hautes Études Commerciales, Montreal, and Harvard Business School, and has lectured at management institutions around the world. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations.
In 2005 he was the first non-American to receive the International Leadership Award for "his contributions to the classroom and the board room". In 2008, he was also given the Lifetime Achievement Award (the Leadership Legacy Project) of the International Leadership Association, being viewed as one of the world’s six founding professionals in the development of leadership as a field and discipline. In 2009, he was rated amongst the Top 50 Thinkers in Management. In October 2011 Kets de Vries was awarded the Doctor Honoris Causa title from IEDC Bled School of Management for his "outstanding contribution to creation and integration of knowledge and leadership development for a better world". In October 2012 Kets de Vries received an Honorary Doctorate from the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA) at IBS-Moscow.
The Queen of the Netherlands has made him an Officer in the Order of Orange-Nassau. He was the first fly fisherman in Outer Mongolia and is a member of New York's Explorers Club.
Kets de Vries is the founder of INSEAD's Global Leadership Centre, program director of INSEAD's top management seminar, "The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders" and the scientific director of the program "Consulting and Coaching for Change; Executive Master's Program". He is also the founder of the Kets de Vries Institute (KDVI Ltd.) a consulting firm that specialises in organisational development and transformation and works extensively with top teams and boards in world-leading organisations to improve leadership effectiveness.
With ESMT European School of Management and Technology, Berlin, he is a distinguished visiting professor and director of their Center for Leadership Development Research. Kets de Vries is also the founder of the Kets de Vries Institute, a partnership that counsels individual CEOs and top executive teams, using a clinical orientation to leadership coaching and organizational transformation.
Kets de Vries is the author, co-author, or editor of more than 40 books and has published over 360 scientific papers as chapters in books and as articles. His books and articles have been translated into thirty-one languages. The American Psychological Association awarded him the Harry and Miriam Levinson Award in 2001 for his contributions to the field of consultation. He is a founding member of the International Society for the Psychoanalytic Study of Organizations (ISPSO) of which he became, in 2009, a Lifetime Distinguished Member. In 2010 he was honoured by the Dutch Psychoanalytic Institute in the Netherlands where he was presented with the Freud Memorial Award, in acknowledgement of his exceptional work on the interface between psychoanalysis and organisations.
Publications, a selectionEdit
Kets de Vries' books include:
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Miller, D. (1984). The Neurotic Organization: Diagnosing and Changing Counterproductive Styles of Management. Jossey-Bass. ISBN 0-87589-606-5.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2006). The Leadership Mystique: a user's manual for the human enterprise. FT Press. ISBN 0-273-65620-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2006). The Leader on the Couch: A Clinical Approach to Changing People and Organizations. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. ISBN 9985-9757-4-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Carlock, Randel S.; Florent-Treacy, Elizabeth (2007). Family Business on the Couch: A Psychological Perspective. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 324. ISBN 978-0-470-51671-3.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Sex, Money, Happiness and Death: The Quest for Authenticity. Palgrave. p. 264. ISBN 0-230-57792-X.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Reflections on Character and Leadership. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 366. ISBN 978-0-470-74242-6.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2009). Reflections on Leadership and Career Development. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 264. ISBN 978-0-470-74246-4.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2011). Reflections on Groups and Organisations. Jossey-Bass. p. 360. ISBN 978-0-470-74247-1.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2011). The Hedgehog Effect: The Secrets of Building High Performance Teams. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. p. 316. ISBN 978-1-119-97336-2.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2014). Mindful Leadership Coaching: Journeys into the Interior. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-38232-0.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R.; Korotov, Konstantin; Florent-Treacy, Elizabeth; Rook, Caroline (2016). Coach and Couch (2nd Edition). Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-56159-6.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2016). Telling Fairy Tales in the Boardroom. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-56272-2.
- Kets de Vries, Manfred F. R. (2017). Riding the Leadership Rollercoaster. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1-137-38232-0.
- Coutu, Diane. "Putting Leaders on the Couch". Harvard Business Review. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "The Thinkers50 Ranking 2009". Thinkers 50. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Distinguished Leadership Award". ILA. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "IEDC Honorary Professorship and Doctor Honoris Causa Recipients". IEDC. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- "Life Achievement Award Preisträger".
- Kets de Vries (ESMT)
- "ISPSO Distinguished Member". ISPSO. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Manfred F.R. Kets de Vries|