Mana, French Guiana
Mana is a commune and town in French Guiana. It was founded on 16 August 1828 by Sister Anne-Marie Javouhey. It borders the river Mana, from where it gets its name; and is nearby the river Maroni. Mana is the primary producer of rice in French Guiana, which it exports to Suriname.
The church of Saint-Joseph of Mana
Location of the commune (in red) within French Guiana
|Overseas region and department||French Guiana|
|• Mayor (2017-2020)||Albéric Benth|
|6,333 km2 (2,445 sq mi)|
|• Density||1.7/km2 (4.5/sq mi)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The first settlement of people from Jura failed in alcoholism and disease. In 1828, the Ministry of the Navy and Colonies sent Sister Anne-Marie Javouhey to colonize the area. Javouhey set out to build a viable community based on agriculture and invited black traders to settle, which was not the white colony as the Ministry envisioned. When 20 escaped slaves settled in the area, she bought them from their owners.
In 1833, Governor Jean Jubelin visited Mana, and appreciated the efforts and progress. Jubelin arranged for orphans to be sent to Mana and the establishment of a leper colony in Acarouany. In 1838, the colony faced a manpower shortage. Javouhey suggested to educate and train 3,000 children of the slaves. The government refused to subsidize the plan, and Javouhey left in 1843.
- "Populations légales 2017". INSEE. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- "Guide Mana". Petit Futé (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "La filière rizicole de Guyane : évolution et perspectives" (PDF). Institut d’Emission des Départements d’Outre-Mer (in French). 2007. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Guyane, Historie". Petit Futé (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Guide Awala-Yalimapo". Petit Futé (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Mana, précurseurse depuis toujours". Le Jour du Seigneur (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- ""Anne-Marie Javouhey"". Pontifical Missionaries Societies (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Des Hmongs en Guyane". ANAI Asso.org (National Association of Elders and Friends of Indochina) (in French). Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "Historique Réserve Naturelle La Trinité" (in French). Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Paris to decide fate of 'mega' gold mine in forests of French Guiana". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Permis Exclusif de Recherches dit « Permis Coulor » dans le département de Guyane Compagnie Minière Espérance" (PDF). economie.gouv.fr (in French). 27 June 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "Auplata annonce la signature d'un protocole pour l'acquisition de la mine de Délices en Guyane Française" (PDF). Auplata Mining Group (in French). Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Presentation Generale". Montagne dOr.fr. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mana (French Guiana).|