Man Will Conquer Space Soon!
|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Man Will Conquer Space Soon! was the title of a famous series of 1950s magazine articles in Collier's detailing Wernher von Braun's plans for manned spaceflight. Edited by Cornelius Ryan, the individual articles were authored by such space notables of the time as Willy Ley, Fred Lawrence Whipple, Dr. Joseph Kaplan, Dr. Heinz Haber, and von Braun. The articles were illustrated with paintings and drawings by Chesley Bonestell, Fred Freeman, and Rolf Klep, some of the finest magazine illustrators of the time.
The article series was the basis for three episodes in the Disneyland anthology series: Man in Space, Man and the Moon, and Mars and Beyond. The series was expanded into three books: Across the Space Frontier (1952), Conquest of the Moon (1953) and The Exploration of Mars (1956). Examples of some of the ships they modeled are in the World of Collier's add-ons to the Orbiter space flight simulator.
The issues and titles of the articles in Collier's were:
- March 22, 1952: Man will Conquer Space Soon.
- What are we waiting for? pp. 22–23. The editors.
- Crossing the last frontier- pp. 24–29, 72, 74. Dr. Wernher von Braun
- A station in space- pp. 30–31. Willy Ley
- The heavens open- p. 32–33. Dr. Fred L. Whipple
- This side of infinity- p. 34. Dr. Joseph Kaplan
- Can we survive in space? pp. 35, 65–67. -Dr. Heinz Haber
- Who owns the universe? pp. 36, 70–71. -Oscar Schachter
- Space quiz around the editors desk. pp. 38–39.
- October 18, 1952: Man on the Moon.
- October 25, 1952: More about Man on the Moon.
- February 28, 1953: World's First Space Suit.
- Man's survival in space. pp. 40–41. Cornelius Ryan and the editors.
- Picking the men. pp. 42–48.
- March 7, 1953: More about Man's Survival in Space.
- Testing the men. pp. 56–63.
- March 14, 1953: How Man will Meet Emergency in Space Travel.
- Emergency! pp. 38–44.
- June 27, 1953: The Baby Space Station: First Step in the Conquest of Space.
- Collier's Conquest of Space (Italian)
- 60th anniversary digital reprinting of Colliers Space Series, Houston Section of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics