Malawi national cricket team
Flag of Malawi
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international||21 March 2004 v Gambia at Willowmoore Park, Benoni, South Africa|
|As of 23 August 2019|
In 2002 Malawi participated in the Africa Cup in which 10 nations took part. They came last in the group, losing all 4 matches.
They became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2003 and an associate member in 2017. Their international debut came the following year in the African affiliates championship, where they came fourth. They participated in the equivalent tournament in 2006, Division Three of the African region of the World Cricket League, once again coming fourth.
In October 2009 Malawi hosted the WCL Africa Div 3 tournament, beating all participants to win the tournament. They were promoted to WCL Africa Division 2 for the next tournament in Benoni, SA. They struggled at this level and finished last.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Malawi and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
Malawi along with seven other participating teams are split into two groups, with the top teams from each group facing each other in the final. Group A consists of Uganda, Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana; while host Kenya is placed in group B along with Botswana, Malawi and Mozambique. All the matches will have full T20I status as ICC granted T20I status to matches between all of its members.
World Cricket League Africa RegionEdit
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "ACA announces the format of the ACA T20 Cup Finals". Africa Cricket Association. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "All T20 Matches Between ICC Members to Get International Status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
|This article about sports in Malawi is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a cricket team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|