Malawi at the 2016 Summer Olympics
Malawi competed at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 5 to 21 August 2016. This was the nation's tenth appearance at the Summer Olympics. Malawi did not attend the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal and the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, because of its support to the African and United States-led boycott.
|Malawi at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
|NOC||Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association of Malawi|
|in Rio de Janeiro|
|Competitors||5 in 3 sports|
|Flag bearer||Kefasi Chitsala|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
Olympic and Commonwealth Games Association of Malawi selected a squad of five athletes, three men and two women, to compete only in track and field, swimming, and archery (the nation's Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro) at the Games; all of them received their spots through wild card entries or Tripartite Commission invitations, without having qualified. Long-distance runner Kefasi Chitsala acted as Malawi's flag bearer in the opening ceremony. Malawi, however, has yet to win its first Olympic medal.
Malawi has received an invitation from the Tripartite Commission to send a male archer to the Olympic tournament, signifying the nation's Olympic debut in the sport.
|Athlete||Event||Ranking round||Round of 64||Round of 32||Round of 16||Quarterfinals||Semifinals||Final / BM|
|Areneo David||Men's individual||603||62|| Pasqualucci (ITA)
|Did not advance|
Athletics (track and field)Edit
- Note–Ranks given for track events are within the athlete's heat only
- Q = Qualified for the next round
- q = Qualified for the next round as a fastest loser or, in field events, by position without achieving the qualifying target
- NR = National record
- N/A = Round not applicable for the event
- Bye = Athlete not required to compete in round
|Kefasi Chitsala||Men's 5000 m||14:52.89||23||Did not advance|
|Tereza Master||Women's marathon||N/A||2:48:34||98|
|Brave Lifa||Men's 50 m freestyle||28.54||83||Did not advance|
|Ammara Pinto||Women's 50 m freestyle||30.32||71||Did not advance|
- "The Flagbearers for the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Dancers thrill Malawi Team at Olympics". Malawi: The Daily Times. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Rio 2016 Qualification – Men" (PDF). World Archery Federation. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "iaaf.org – Top Lists". IAAF. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "IAAF Games of the XXX Olympiad – Rio 2016 Entry Standards" (PDF). IAAF. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Malawi names record team for Rio 2016 Olympics Games". Malawi Olympic Committee. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Men's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- "Women's Final Entry List" (PDF). FINA. Retrieved 20 July 2016.