Malang Sarr (born 23 January 1999) is a French professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Ligue 1 side Nice and the France U21 side. An academy graduate of Nice, he scored on his senior debut in 2016 and has since made over 70 appearances for the club.
Sarr playing for hometown club Nice, 2018
|Full name||Malang Sarr|
|Date of birth||23 January 1999|
|Place of birth||Nice, France|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 25 May 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 27 June 2019
Born in Nice, Sarr joined local side OGC Nice at the age of six. He spent the next 12 years in the club's academy before making his Ligue 1 debut for the club on 14 August 2016 against Rennes, aged 17. He scored the winning goal for his team in the 60th minute, heading home from a Jean-Michaël Seri free-kick. In doing so, he became the second youngest player to ever score on debut in Ligue 1, behind Nigerian international Bartholomew Ogbeche. After the match, Sarr dedicated his goal to the victims of the 2016 Nice terror attack. Prior to kick-off a minute's silence was observed in memory of the victims with both Nice and Rennes wearing unique commemorative shirts bearing the names of those who had died. On 7 November 2016, Sarr signed his first professional contract with Nice and by the end of the season had made over 30 appearances as the club ended the league campaign in third place.
In February 2018, Sarr was named by the CIES Football Observatory as the world's fifth-most promising footballer under the age of 20. Competing with Maxime Le Marchand and new loan signing Marlon, Sarr saw his game time slightly reduced but still managed to record 29 appearances across all competitions for the campaign.
France national youth teamsEdit
Sarr has represented France at various youth levels and in September 2016, Sarr was named as the captain of the 20-man France U18 squad by manager Bernard Diomède for the 2016 Limoges Tournament. In 2018, he confirmed that he had been approached by the Senegalese Football Association to represent the nation but stated that he had hopes to achieve great things with France.
Sarr was born in the neighbourhood of des Moulins in Nice. He is of Senegalese descent through his parents who immigrated to France prior to his birth.
- As of 25 May 2019 
- "Malang Sarr". OGC Nice (in French). Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Malang Sarr: "Ce but, je le dédie aux victimes"". Nice-Matin (in French). 14 August 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Rodden, Mark (14 August 2016). "Nice's Malang Sarr dedicates debut goal to victims of terrorist attack". ESPN. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Nizza, alla scoperta di Malang Sarr: il baby talento "senza nome"". La Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian). 14 October 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "17-year old Sarr sees off Rennes". Ligue 1. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- "Official: Malang Sarr signs OGC Nice pro deal". Get Football News France. 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Chelsea vying with Real Madrid and Barcelona to sign Malang Sarr". Sky Sports. 21 July 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Chelsea transfer news: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Malang Sarr, Diego Costa". Fox Sports. 22 July 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- Margueritte, Henri (19 February 2018). "Alban Lafont, ce Français qui devance Mbappé au classement des footballeurs les plus prometteurs". Huffington Post (in French). Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Les joueurs de l'OGC Nice sur le gril: aujourd'hui, Malang Sarr" (in French). Nice-Matin. 25 June 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "Leicester City Scouting Nice Defender Malang Sarr in Champions League Qualifiers Ahead of £20m Bid". Sports Illustrated. 30 July 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Équipe de France, Alban Lafont et Malang Sarr avec les U18 pour le Tournoi de Limoges". Goal (in French). 28 September 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- Juillard, Patrick (23 October 2018). "Senegal: Alio Cisse a deja contacte Malang Sarr" (in French). Foot 365. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- Aguilar, Francesc (24 October 2016). "Malang Sarr, el espectacular 'baby' central del Niza". Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "M. Sarr". Retrieved 1 September 2016.