|Born||March 25, 1961|
|Years active||1976 – present|
He was born in Kobe, Japan. He began playing organ at two and by seven was an improviser. He appeared on Japanese television with his father from 1968 to 1970. At twelve he switched to piano after being impressed by the albums of Oscar Peterson. In 1980, he entered the Berklee College of Music and later worked with Gary Burton. He also had his recording debut in 1983 before returning to his native Japan.
Ozone has collaborated with vocalist Kimiko Itoh. They appeared as a duo at the Montreux Jazz Festival, and he produced her album Kimiko, which won the 2000 Swing Journal jazz disk grand prix for Japanese vocalist.
- with Phil Wilson, Live!! At The Berklee Performance Center (Shiah, 1983) - live
- Makoto Ozone (Columbia, 1984)
- After (Columbia, 1986)
- Spring Is Here (Columbia, 1987)
- Now You Know (Columbia, 1987)
- Starlight (JVC/Victor, 1990)
- Paradise Wings (JVC/Victor, 1991)
- Walk Alone (JVC/Victor) 1992)
- Breakout (Verve, 1994)
- with Gary Burton, Face to face (GRP, 1995)
- Nature Boys (Verve, 1995)
- At the Montreux Jazz Festival (Videoarts, 1997)
- Makoto Ozone: The Trio (Verve, 1997)
- Three Wishes (Verve, 1998)
- Dear Oscar (Polydor, 1998)
- No Strings Attached (Polydor, 1999)
- Pandora (Verve, 2000)
- So Many Colors (Verve, 2001)
- Treasure (Verve, 2002)
- Reborn (Verve, 2003)
- with Gary Burton, Virtuosi (Concord, 2003)
- New Spirit (Universal, 2004)
- Real (Verve, 2005)
- with Satoru Shionoya, Duet (Verve, 2005) - live
- Alive!!: Live at Blue Note Tokyo (Universal, 2007) - live. recorded in 2006.
- Falling in love, again (Universal, 2007)
- Ballads (Verve, 2008)
- Jungle (Verve, 2009)
- Road to Chopin (Universal, 2010)
- with Anna Maria Jopek, Haiku (Universal Music Polska, 2011)
- Live & Let Live - Love For Japan (Verve, 2011) - live.
- with Ellis Marsalis Jr., Pure Pleasure For The Piano (EmArcy, 2012)
- with Christian McBride, Jeff "Tain" Watts, My Witch's Blue (Verve, 2012)
- with Gary Burton, Time Thread (Verve, 2013)
- Dimensions (2017)
- Until We Vanish (2019)
- Ozone 60 (2021)
- Ozone 60: Standards (2021)
As No Name HorsesEdit
- No Name Horses (Universal, 2006)
- No Name Horses II (Verve, 2008)
- Jungle (Verve, 2009)
- Back at The Club "IN TRIBUTE" (Universal, 2011)
- Road: Rhapsody in Blue (Universal, 2014)
- Ashita no Kita Yoshio (あしたの、喜多善男) - Original Soundtrack (Universal, 2008)
- NHK The World Heritage: The Swell of Time - Original Soundtrack (Universal, 2011)
With Gary Burton
With Bobby Shew
- Breakfast Wine (Pausa, 1985)
- "Another Japanese import success: jazz pianist Makoto Ozone". csmonitor.com.
- "Makoto Ozone music". Allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
- Colin Larkin, ed. (1992). The Guinness Encyclopedia of Popular Music (First ed.). Guinness Publishing. p. 1886. ISBN 0-85112-939-0.
- "Montreux duo". Archived from the original on 24 May 2006. Retrieved 2 October 2021.
- "第34回 （2000年度） スイングジャーナル ジャズ・ディスク大賞 - ジャズ名盤紹介サイト JAZZCD.JP". Jazzcd.jp. 10 September 2015.
- "ニュース：ジャズ専修設置記者会見を行いました" [News: Announced about the establishment of Jazz course] (in Japanese). Kunitachi College of Music. Retrieved April 3, 2020.
- "Jazz alums to receive honorary doctorates". UPI.com. September 4, 2003.