Make Your Play
Make Your Play was a live, interactive quiz show, showing in the UK on the ITV Network, from Monday to Saturday, beginning after midnight. The show was launched on Friday 29 September 2006 on ITV and ITV Play.
|Make Your Play|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production company(s)||Granada Productions|
Gallowgate Productions TV
|Original network||ITV, STV, UTV,|
|Original release||29 September 2006 – |
23 December 2007
The prizes are greater than usually available on ITV Play (often exceeding £20,000), but as a result of this, callers are usually taken less often.
In order to win money, viewers must either call in at a cost of 75p from a BT landline, or enter through the ITV website. If they are successful they will be placed on hold, then transferred live to the studio if they are lucky, where they go on to deliver their answer.
Make Your Play has given over £3 million. It went over the £3 million mark on 1 July 2007, when a contestant by the name of Mr Joseph Percy said "next day". An on screen graphic was then shown saying "£3 Million Given Away" accompanied with a siren sound effect.
A game where viewers were invited to "add the pence" was criticised for providing a solution which was all but impossible to reach.
In February and March 2007, ITV Play and all shows associated with it were suspended after allegations that consumers were being cheated. ITV decided to suspend these services – which included phone-in votes and competitions on shows such as Dancing on Ice and This Morning – while an independent review was carried out to see if members of the public were getting a fair deal when they rang in. The problem was shortly resolved, and the ITV Play channel was closed down "permanently".
An announcement on 12 September 2007 confirmed that the show, along with similar late night phone ins, would be phased out by the end of 2007.
ITV Play's Glitterball ended on 30 September 2007. As a result, Make Your Play was extended, running six nights a week until the closure of ITV Play, with the last Make Your Play being broadcast on the morning of 23 December 2007.
On 1 July 2009, former presenter Ben Baldwin announced via his Twitter page that Make Your Play would launch as a stand alone channel on Freeview and Sky on 19 January 2010. So far, Make Your Play has yet to return to the air.
Presenters at time of original demiseEdit
- Kennedy, Dominic (2007-03-12). "Even the best thinkers can't solve question on premium-rate TV quiz". The Times. Retrieved 2007-04-08.
- Deans, Jason (2007-03-13). "ITV Play digital channel axed". Media Guardian. Retrieved 2007-04-08.. It has gone back on air as of July 2007
- "ITV Play programming to be 'phased out'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2007-09-12.
- "Make Your Play to make return in 2010". Twitter. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "CharlieMcArdle.com". April 2007. Archived from the original on 15 July 2007. Retrieved 11 May 2007.
- "Bouff.tv". 2006. Archived from the original on 5 July 2007. Retrieved 11 May 2007.