Major achievements in table tennis by nation
This is a list of achievements in major international table tennis events according to gold, silver and bronze medal results obtained by athletes representing different nations. The objective is not to create a combined medal table; the focus is on listing the best positions achieved by athletes in major global events, ranking the countries according to the most number of podiums accomplished by athletes of these nations. In order to be considered for the making of the list, competitions must be ranked among the highest possible rank (R1) by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF); these competitions are: 1) Summer Olympic Games, 2) Youth Olympic Games, 3) World Table Tennis Championships, 4) World Junior Table Tennis Championships, and 5) Table Tennis World Cup. Masters, as well as Para meets, such as the Para World Championships and the Paralympic Games, were not taken into consideration, as per ITTF guidelines.
The conventions used on this table follow the ITTF guidelines, namely: MS for men's singles, WS for women's singles, MD for men's doubles, WD for women's doubles, XD for mixed doubles, MT for men's team and WT for women's team. The Mixed Team event at the Youth Olympic Games is referred to as XT.
- A red background indicates that the result was achieved in doubles or mixed team events where each athlete represented a different country. These results are considered valid for both countries and accounted for in the final ranking.
- The table is pre-sorted by total number of medal results. In case of a tie, countries are then compared according to most number of gold medal results, silver medal results and bronze medal results, respectively. Persisting a tie, equal ranks are given, with countries being listed in alphabetical order.
- Major tournaments for disabled athletes
- Other major world tournaments
- Continental tournaments
- Asian Table Tennis Championships
- Table tennis at the Asian Games
- European Table Tennis Championships
- Table tennis at the 2015 European Games
- Table tennis at the Pan American Games