The UPS Store
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The UPS Store network is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. Today, there are more than 5,000 independently owned The UPS Store locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Canada. The UPS Store, Inc., franchisor of The UPS Store brand, is a wholly owned subsidiary of United Parcel Service (UPS).
|Industry||Retail and Franchising|
|Founded||August 1, 1980|
(as Mail Boxes Etc.)
2003 (as The UPS Store)
|United States and Canada|
|Services||Packaging and labeling, Shipping, Postal, Printing, and Business Services|
|Parent||United Parcel Service|
The Mail Boxes Etc. concept was introduced in 1980 as an alternative to the post office. In 2001, UPS acquired Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. The two companies introduced The UPS Store brand in 2003, and approximately 3,000 locations were re-branded. In the year following the re-branding, Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. sold more than 500 new The UPS Store franchise locations in the United States. The UPS Store franchise locations remain locally owned and operated. In 2012, Mail Boxes Etc., Inc. changed its name to The UPS Store, Inc.
Locations and franchisingEdit
The UPS Store has more than 5,000 independently owned locations within the United States and Canada. The UPS Store franchise locations offer business services to small-office/home-office (SOHO) marketing, corporate offices and consumers.
In addition to traditional locations in shopping centers and commercial complexes, The UPS Store locations can be found on college campuses, military bases, convention centers, hotels and urban renewal areas/empowerment zones.
The UPS Store franchise opportunities are available to “qualifying entrepreneurs.” The UPS Store has development opportunities throughout the United States.
Based on the location and size, the total initial investment cost for a new The UPS Store center ranges from $150,196 to $371,022. The UPS Store requires that all prospective franchisees be able to verify a minimum of $60,000 to $100,000 in liquid assets, but meeting this requirement does not guarantee the awarding of a franchise.
Products and returnsEdit
The UPS Store franchises offer consumers and small businesses a wide range of products and services in a single location, including domestic and international shipping, packaging, printing, mailbox services, postal services, drop off shredding, moving supplies, notary and other small-business services.
The UPS Store was named one of the 50 Top Postal and Business services franchises in the United States  for 28 consecutive years by Entrepreneur Magazine in their annual “Franchise 500.” In 2017 and 2018, The UPS Store was ranked #4 overall among the top franchise brands according to Entrepreneur Magazine’s annual Franchise 500 list. USA Today and G.I. Jobs named The UPS Store franchise opportunity in the 50 Top Franchises for Military Veterans. The UPS Store franchise network was named American Brand Excellence Award Winner in the Retail category by City Business Journals.
- "Entrepreneur Magazine". Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "TheUPSStore.com". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- Goodman, Michelle (14 January 2013). "Franchisors Offer Their Own Financing Programs". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- "UPS Store Makes $22.5 Million Available for Franchisee Loans". Bloomberg. 14 February 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "The UPS Store and U.S. Postal Service Team up to Promote Small Business". 22 September 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "Entrepreneurs getting work done at shipping sites". Chicago Sun-Times. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "50 Top Franchises for Military Veterans" (PDF). Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "American Brand Excellence Award". Retrieved 11 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The UPS Store.|
- Official website
- Military Veterans Prepare for a New Role
- Entrepreneur Magazine Franchise 500
- Toys for Tots Literacy Program
- The UPS Store locations