Waduge Warunasiri Mahinda Deshapriya (Sinhala: මහින්ද දේශප්රිය) is a former Chairman of Election Commission of Sri Lanka. On 30 November 2019 he informed the speaker of parliament that he would resign from the post and his intention has been informed to the president Gotabhaya Rajapaksa.
|1st Chairman of Election Commission of Sri Lanka|
13 November 2015 – 13 November 2020
|Preceded by||Position created|
|Succeeded by||Nimal G. Punchihewa|
|8th Commissioner of the Department of Elections|
March 26, 2011 – November 13, 2015
|Preceded by||Dayananda Dissanayake|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
Waduge Warunasiri Mahinda Deshapriya
June 6, 1955
|Relations||Sunanda Deshapriya (Brother)|
|Alma mater||University of Peradeniya|
Early life and careerEdit
Deshapriya attended Dharmasoka College, Ambalangoda. He graduated from University of Peradeniya in physical science. Then he started his career as a Chemistry and Mathematics teacher at Dharmasoka College which was his alma mater. He joined with Sri Lanka Administrative Services through Department of Elections in 1982 and progressed through his career until becoming the commissioner of the Department of Elections. During his career, he served as Assistant Commissioner of Elections, District Returning Officer of Jaffna District (1998), Deputy Commissioner (2006) and Additional Commissioner (2010) positions.
- "The Commission". Election Commission.
- "Mahinda Deshapriya informs of intention to resign". NewsRadio. 29 November 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "EC Chairman Mahinda Deshapriya offers to resign". www.msn.com. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Mahinda Deshapriya tenders resignation?". www.lankanewsweb.net. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Sri Lankan Electoral Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya Sets the Bar High | IFES". www.ifes.org. Retrieved 26 December 2019.
- "International Seminar on Strategies for empowering young & future voters" (PDF). Conference proceedings. 24 January 2017.
- "Ada Derana Sri Lankan of the Year", Wikipedia, 1 December 2019, retrieved 26 December 2019