Mahidol University International College
Mahidol University International College (Thai: วิทยาลัยนานาชาติ มหาวิทยาลัยมหิดล), also known as MUIC, is the first International bachelor's degree program at a public university in Thailand. It is located in Mahidol University's Salaya campus, in the province of Nakhon Pathom.
|Motto||Attānaṃ upamaṃ kare
Motto in English
|Do unto others as you would have others do unto you|
|Dean||Assoc. Prof. Dr. Phitaya Charupoonphol|
|Location||Nakhon Pathom, Thailand|
The International Students Degree Program (ISDP) was found in March 1986. It is the first international bachelor's degree program at a public university in Thailand. Six months later, the program accepted its first class of 45 students. The classes were taken on the second floor of the MU Social Science and Humanities Building. There were two full-time and 20 part-time instructors, a four-member support staff. The program offered a total of seven majors in the Sciences and Travel Industry Management.
In 1992, two addition majors namely Business Administration and Food Science and Technology were introduced and the program officially had its own new building which accommodates 486 students. Having been approved by the Mahidol University Council in 1996, ISDP was officially designated Mahidol University International College (MUIC). A six-storey complex was built two years later to accommodate more than a thousand of students along with a new management which include an expansion of academic offerings, additional internships, including the Salaya Pavilion Hotel and Training Center, a pre-college program and several offices. The college's academic, physical and social landscapes were developed over the years. There have been the promotion of student exchange program and a further expansion of its physical facilities including an eight-storey extension.
Now, MUIC offers a diverse range of 20 undergraduate majors and 22 minors in the Arts, Sciences, and Administration. Mahidol University International College also offered two master's degree programs, for approximately 3,200 students. The new building will be completed in 2016. after its completion, MUIC will able to accommodate over 4,000 students.
MUIC’s graduate and undergraduate programs are administered by the academic divisions. Each division is responsible for their respective curriculum and faculty. Below are the list of divisions at MUIC.
- Business Administration
- Humanities and Language
- Social Science
- Fine and Applied Arts
- Travel Industry Management
MUIC offers a broad spectrum of undergraduate programs in the Arts, Sciences and Administration that are designed to develop a new generation of academics, international managers and industry professionals.
- BACHELOR OF ARTS (B.A.)
- Communication Design
- Animation Production
- Film Production
- Television Production
- Social Science
- Intercultural Studies and Languages
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE (B.Sc.)
- Applied Mathematics
- Biological Sciences
- Computer Science
- Environmental Science
- Food Science and Technology
- BACHELOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (B.B.A.)
- Business Economics
- Information Systems
- International Business
- International Hospitality Management
- BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (B.Eng.)
- Computer Engineering
The City Campus is located in Sathon District, Bangkok and offers 2 postgraduate programs:
- MASTER OF MANAGEMENT (M.M.)
- International Hospitality Management
- MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (M.B.A.)
- Business Modeling and Development
Students have to pass entrance examinations and an interview in order to get into the college. There is an English examination which utilizes TOEFL-style exam questions for four sections - Grammar, Writing, Reading and Listening. MUIC is currently partnered with over 70 countries to allow admission for international students to study at the university. In the United States for example, it is partnered with 18 universities, including The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Currently, MUIC accepts three types of inbound students, full-time, exchange, and visiting.
Scholarships for high school potential students
1. ASEAN Students Scholarship.
MUIC offers a scholarship for ASEAN nationals (except Thais) who want to pursue their bachelor's degree at MUIC.
- Must be Southeast Asian nationals
- High school graduates
- Cum. GPA 3.00 or above
- Cum. GPA 3.00 or above while studying at MUIC
- Number of scholarship
8 scholarships a year Duration 4 years
- Waiver of full tuition fees for 4 scholarship recipients
- Waiver of 50% of tuition fees for 4 scholarship recipients
2. MUIC Scholarship (Thai nationals)
This scholarship is awarded to potential students (Thai nationals) with limited finances resources who have completed Thai high school in Thailand and have achieved a cumulative 3.0 GPA or above for 5 terms in high school. The scholarship covers a tuition-fee waiver for 5 years, from PC to graduation. Four scholarships will be awarded every year for each of the four entrance examinations.
- Students who apply for any major
- They must pass MUIC’s entrance examination
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or above in each trimester during the scholarship period
- Parent’s combined income should not exceed 200,000 Baht/year
- Scholarship recipients are required to participate in MUIC activities
3. MUIC Scholarship for Science Majors This scholarship is awarded to potential students who have completed Thai high school in Thailand, although they do not necessarily have to be Thai nationals, and have achieved a cumulative 3.5 GPA or above for 5 terms in high school. The scholarship covers a tuition-fee waiver for 5 years, from PC to graduation. Four scholarships will be awarded every year for each of the four entrance examinations.
Students must apply for a Science Major
- They must pass MUIC’s entrance examination in both mathematics and science with a score of 75% or above
- Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above in each trimester during the scholarship period
- Scholarship recipients cannot change their major, unless it is within the Science Program
Mahidol University was one of the first universities in Thailand to offer liberal arts, international, English-based Bachelor programmes. The opportunity proved to be a success amongst Thai students looking for a leg up into studying further degrees abroad. Mahidol University, as a whole, has been ranked the best university in Thailand in various ranking methodologies. Although the international college is an autonomous element of the institution, it does not have its own academic ranking. However, the international college has benefited from the great availability resources, facilities, activities and teaching faculty provided by the university The college is said to be "one of the most successful international undergraduate degree programs in Thailand."  It claims to hold a strong focus on liberal arts and "the promotion of a learning culture that prepares its students to meet the challenges of living and working in the 21st century."
- In 2010, MUIC received the Best Practice Award for its study abroad programs from the Commission on Higher Education, Ministry of Education, Thailand
 Mahidol University International College possesses strong extracurricular activities. It has a competitive Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE) programme which has won awards nationally. It has also a notably strong debate society. As of 2012, the debate club hash won 6 out of 8 national debate titles at the annual championship - European Union-Thailand Intervarsity Debate Championships and regularly top the rankings of Thai universities at international debating competitions.
MUIC is one of only two higher education institutions (the other being with Chulalongkorn University’s Sasin Graduate School) to have received the 'Thailand Trust Mark' from the Thai Ministry of Commerce, indicating the high quality educational services that the college provides.
- "History". Mahidol University International College | Study in Thailand. 2012-08-06. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Mahidol University - Top Universities". QS Top Universities.
- "Student Activities at MUIC".
- Brockelman, Chariya Ratanarat. "Multiculturalism at Mahidol University, Thailand" (PDF).