Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mahatma Gandhi University (commonly referred to as MG University or MGU) is an Indian collegiate public university based in Kerala. It was established on Gandhi Jayanti day, 2 October 1983 in the Kottayam district of Kerala state. Mahatma Gandhi University (formerly Gandhiji University), has been approved by UGC and accredited (A) by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council of India. The university has around 300 affiliated colleges spread over five districts in central Kerala.
Emblem of Mahatma Gandhi University
|Motto||Vidyay āmritamaṣṇute (Sanskrit)|
Motto in English
|Knowledge makes one immortal|
|Chancellor||Governor of Kerala|
The university offers around 300 academic programmes (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral degrees) in the fields of Pure and Applied Sciences, Technology, Paramedical Studies, Nursing, Management, Law, Engineering, Gandhian Thought, International Relations,Inter disciplinary Integrated Master of Sciences Politics, Physics, Nano Science, Disability Studies, Rehabilitation Sciences, Special Education, Psychology, Behavioural Medicine, Tourism, Journalism, Chemical Sciences, Polymer Engineering, Hospital Administration, Environmental Sciences, Disaster Management, Business Studies, Commerce, Economics, Arts, Pedagogical Studies, Hotel and Hospitality Management, Catering Science, Food and Nutrition, Computer Science, Biotechnology, Geoinformatics among others. Average annual student enrollment is between 17,000-18,000 (2013 statistics). 
Prof.Sabu Thomas (Professor, School of Chemical Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University) serves as the Vice Chancellor. The registrar is Dr. K. Sabukuttan and Dr. Prakashkumar B. holds the charge of Controller of Examinations. Smt. Valsamma Karunakaran acts as the Finance Officer.
The university is funded by the University Grants Commission and Government of Kerala. It is a member of the AIU and the ACU. Association of Commonwealth Universities represents over 480 universities from Commonwealth countries.
The university campus is in the Priyadarsini Hills, 13 kilometers from Kottayam Railway Station and 4 kilometers from Ettumanoor. To reach the campus take the deviation from M.C. Road at Ettumanoor or Gandhi Nagar. The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport situated at Nedumbassery, Cochin which is about 80 km away. Private buses to Ernakulam starting from the Nagampadom bus stand at the northern end of the railway platform at Kottayam stop at the university. It is located 13 Km away from the city of Kottayam.
Schools and departmentsEdit
- School of Behavioural Science
- School of Bio-Science
- School of Chemical Science
- School of Computer Sciences
- School of Distance Education
- School of Environmental Science
- School of Gandhian Thought and Development Studies
- School of Indian Legal Thought
- School of International Relation & Politics
- School of Printing & Publishing
- School of Letters
- School of Pedagogical Sciences
- School of Physical Education & Sports Science
- School of Pure and applied physics
- School of Management & Business Studies
- School of Social Science
- School of Technology & Applied Sciences
- School of Tourism Studies
- Department of Life-Long Learning & Extension
- National Institute of Plant Science Technology
- Inter University Center For Studies in Science Of Music
- Centre For High Performance Computing
- Inter University Centre for Disability Studies
- International and Inter University Centre for Nano science and Nanotechnology
- Institute for Intensive Research in Basic Sciences
- Inter University Centre for Biomedical Research
- Inter University Instrumentation Centre
- Advanced Molecular Materials Research Centre
- Inter University Centre for Social Science Research and Extension
- Advanced Centre of Environmental Studies and Sustainable Development
- Centre for English Language and Communication Skills
- K.n. Raj study centre for planning and centre -state financial relations
Centre for Advanced Research in Library and Information Sciences (CARLIS)Edit
CARLIS was established in 2010 for research on technologies that can transfer existing knowledge from traditional media to future proof digital media for the networked society.
CARLIS covers two main areas; Library Science and Information Science along with their applications using technologies developed in allied areas. CARLIS started Offering PhD programmes in 2010 and the areas of research are content management, digital archiving, multimedia resources, information administration, information economics, information infrastructures, IPR issues, knowledge warehousing, language technologies, Open Access protocols, resource sharing networks etc.
It is envisaged as a national centre and will have initially an Advisory Council with experts from India and abroad, an Honorary Director, experts from different areas in knowledge management as faculty. The research by the team associated to CARLIS has developed the Digital Library package with search mechanisms for Indian scripts used in Gandhi University On line Theses Library the first official Open Access Archive of PhD theses from Indian universities.
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||52|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||34|
- cosmic. "MG university". www.mgu.ac.in.
- Gupta, Ameeta; Kumar, Ashish (2006). Handbook of Universities. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers & Distributors. pp. 532–536. ISBN 978-81-269-0608-6. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Jancy James, Dr and Raman Nair, R. and Sreekumar, G. Doctoral Research at Mahatma Gandhi University 1983-2008: a Bibliometric Analysis. University News, 2008, vol. 46, n. 51, retrieved 20 July 2013
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mahatma Gandhi University.|