This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mael Mórdha (/ /; Irish: [ˈmˠeːlʲ ˈmˠoːɾɣa]) are an Irish doom metal band from Dublin, Ireland. Its name can also be written in traditional Irish typography, as Mael Mórḋa. The band's music melds doom metal with Irish folk music to create what has been referred to as "Gaelic doom metal".
|Genres||Doom metal, Celtic metal|
|Labels||Candlelight, Grau Records, Karmageddon Media, Deasmumhan|
|Members||Stíofáin De Roiste|
Mael Mórdha was formed in January 1998 by Roibéard Ó Bogail (formerly the vocalist of the band Dreamsfear). On the strength of the band’s last two EPs, Caoineadh na nGael and Cluain Tarbh, the band was signed to Dutch label Karmageddon Media which released the band’s first album, Cluain Tarbh on 12 September 2005. An alternative recording of the album title track was released on a limited edition 7 inch vinyl split with their fellow Irishmen Primordial, through Sentinel Records in the winter of 2005.
Due to severe internal problems within Karmageddon and a lack of availability of the album, the band left the label and signed to Grau Records in Germany in February 2006. Gealtacht Mael Mórdha is the band's first album to be released through Grau Records, on 19 March 2007. In 2008, their debut album was re-released by Grau Records with two additional tracks previously recorded on the band's first EP, The Path to Insanity.
The band has played the Abbeyleix Metalfest (Ireland - 1999), Day Of Darkness (Ireland - 2003, 2004, 2007), Bloodstock Open Air (England - 2006, 2013), Heathen Crusade II (Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States- 2007), Doom Shall Rise, (Göppingen, Germany - 2007) and Dutch Doom Days (Rotterdam, The Netherlands - 2007).
Mael Mórdha's third album, entitled Manannán, was released on 14 May 2010, by Grau Records.
Between November 2011 and January 2012 Mael Mórdha recorded their fourth album at Foel Studio in Wales, with producer Chris Fielding. Entitled Damned When Dead, the album was released by Candlelight Records in September 2013. In January 2014, Roibéard Ó Bogail left the band. He was replaced by Celtachor vocalist/whistle player Stíofán De Roiste in October of that year.
- Stíofán De Roiste - Vocals, Whistle 
- Gerry Clince - guitars
- Dave Murphy - bass
- Shane Cahill - drums
|2007||Gealtacht Mael Mórdha|
|2013||Damned When Dead|
|1999||The Path to Insanity|
|2000||The Inferno Spreads|
|2003||Caoineadh na nGael|
|2004||Cluain Tarbh E.P.|
|2005||Primordial / Mael Mórdha|
- Grey, Earl. "Manannan review". Metal Ireland. Archived from the original on 4 November 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "blabbermouth.net - Mael Mórdha To Release 'Manannán' In May - Apr. 19, 2010". Archived from the original on 1 February 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mael Mórdha performing on You're A Star". YouTube. Retrieved 10 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Interview : Dave Murphy of MAEL MÓRDHA". Irishmetalarchive.com. Retrieved 10 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mael Mordha". Facebook.com. Retrieved 10 October 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mael Mórdha: New Album Delayed Until Next Year blabbermouth.net. 2009-09-06. Retrieved on 2009-10-03.