Madras Institute of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
The MIOT International is a multi-specialty hospital in Manapakkam, Chennai, India. It is a specialty hospital in the field of joint replacement surgeries, Interventional Cardiology , orthopaedics and trauma. Founded by P. V. A. Mohandas, the hospital was established in February 1999 on a 14-acre (5.7 ha) land with German collaboration, with an initial investment of ₹ 500,000. The hospital has 1000 beds and employs 170 physicians. The hospital receives nearly 3,500 foreign patients every year, contributing 25 percent of the hospital's patients. North and East Africa account for a chunk of these foreign patients.
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Lists||Hospitals in India|
|Other links||P. V. A. Mohandas|
MIOT Hospitals began as an independent entity, specialising in orthopaedics, at Chennai-based Vijaya Hospital in 1987. It moved to Manapakkam, a suburb of Chennai, in 1999. Its founder and managing director, P. V. A. Mohandas, is also chief surgeon in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Started as a centre for orthopaedics, the hospital has become a multi-speciality one dealing with thoracic and cardiovascular care, cardiology, nephrology, neurosurgery, oncology and radiation oncology, hip-replacement surgery, knee replacement, accident surgery, plastic surgery, craniofacial and cosmetic surgery, paediatrics, obstetrics, and so on.
On 18 May 2012, a heart revive centre was inaugurated at a cost of ₹ 300 million, with a full-fledged Cathlab and an Electro Physiology Laboratory for the treatment of arrhythmia, or irregular heart beat. In the same year, the hospital started the MIOT International Centre housing the departments of oncology, radiation oncology, medical oncology, surgical oncology, liver transplant centre and bone marrow transplant centre. There are also plans to open a heart transplant centre.
First time in India T- Replete Haplo Identical Bone Marrow TransplantEdit
The MIOT Institute of Haematology, Haemato-Oncology & BMT performed the first T- Replete Haplo Identical Bone Marrow Transplant in India in 2013.
The hospital group is investing ₹ 2,800 million on a 600-bed 6-star facility for cancer treatment named 'MIOT International' under construction near the existing facility. The 13-floor building will house 14 operation theatres, a bunker, a sterilisation unit, 500 premium rooms and 100 beds for critical care and is being constructed by L&T. It will employ about 100 physicians.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Niryat Shree Gold Award 2002 – 2003
- Niryat Shree Gold Award 2009 – 2010
- FIEO Niryat Shree Bronze Trophy 2008 – 2009
- FIEO Southern Region Export Excellence Award 2012 – 2013
- FIEO Southern Region Export Excellence Award 2013 – 2014
- FIEO Southern Region Export Excellence Award 2015 – 2016
- "MIOT Hospitals announces free schemes". The Hindu. The Hindu. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- Kannan, Swetha (18 July 2011). "First phase of 'MIOT International' opening today". Business Line. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 16 September 2012.
- "Miot plans hospital in Sudan". Business Line. Chennai: The Hindu. 14 October 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- Subramanian, T. S. (28 July – 10 August 2012). "Health marvel". Frontline. The Hindu. 29 (15). Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "Mother's bone marrow comes to 10-year-old son's rescue". Thehindu.com. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "A timely liver transplant saves her life". Thehindu.com. 31 July 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "MIOT helps save life of 26-yr-old with last-minute liver transplant". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- 100010509524078 (2 August 2016). "Emergency transplant saves woman's life". DtNext.in. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "The Hindu : Tamil Nadu News : Medical tourism comes of age". Tehindu.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Ramachandran, Smriti Kak (6 October 2012). "President gives away Niryat Shree, Niryat Bandhu awards". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Reporter, Staff (17 November 2010). "Augment exports to Latin America: Scindia". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "'Set up more manufacturing zones'". Thehindu.com. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "'Government to extend full support to exporters'". Thehindu.com. 10 October 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Chennai hospital gets recognised for fifth time". Deccan Chronicle. 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Chennai: City hospital gets FIEO award for sixth time". Deccanchronicle.com. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Focus on new markets, V-P tells exporters". The Hindu. 19 January 2018. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 20 January 2018.