Madhusree Mukerjee (born 1961) is an Indian-American writer. She is the author of The Land of Naked People: Encounters with Stone Age Islanders (2003) and Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II (2010). She is also a contributor to the People's Archive of Rural India.
|Notable work||Churchill's Secret War (2010)|
Early life and educationEdit
Mukerjee was born in Dishergarh, West Bengal, India, where her father worked for the mining industry. When she was eight, the family moved to Kolkata. She graduated from Jadavpur University with a degree in physics, and in 1982 moved to New York, where she completed a master's degree at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. After obtaining a PhD in nuclear physics in 1989 from the University of Chicago—supervised by Yoichiro Nambu—she began post-doctoral studies at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), where she met her husband.
After Caltech, Mukerjee took up science journalism and worked for Physics Today for one year and Scientific American for seven years. She received a Guggenheim fellowship to complete her first book, The Land of Naked People (2003). In her second book, Churchill's Secret War (2010), Mukerjee documents the role played by the policies, as well as the racial worldview, of the war-time British prime minister Winston Churchill and his trusted friend and advisor Frederick Lindemann, 1st Viscount Cherwell, in the death and devastation caused by the Bengal famine of 1943 and the partition of India.
- (2014). "A Prime Example of British Civilization (1943) from Biplabi", in Anya Schiffrin, ed. Global Muckraking: 100 Years of Investigative Journalism from Around the World. New York: The New Press.
- (2010). Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II. New York: Basic Books.
- (2003). The Land of Naked People: Encounters with Stone Age Islanders. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- "Who's afraid of Amartya Sen?". The Telegraph. Kolkata. 27 February 2011.
- "Madhusree Mukerjee interviewed by John Horgan", BhTV, 18 September 2010, from 00:00:59.
- "Bio and Contact", madhusree.com.
- "A fleeting force of physics". Division of the Physical Sciences, The University of Chicago. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- Sengoopta, Chandak (2 September 2010). "Churchill's Secret War, By Madhusree Mukerjee". The Independent.
- Horton, Scott (4 November 2010). "Churchill's Dark Side: Six Questions for Madhusree Mukerjee". Harpers.
- Lelyveld, Joseph (23 December 2010). "Did Churchill Let Them Starve?". The New York Review of Books.