|• Type||Municipal Council|
|• Body||Madhepura Municipal Council|
|• Total||26 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,100/km2 (5,400/sq mi)|
|• Official||Maithili, Hindi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-BR|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Madhepura|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Madhepura|
Madhepura is part of the Mithila region and the people here speak the Maithili language. Mithila first gained prominence after being settled by Indo-Aryan peoples who established the Mithila Kingdom (also called Kingdom of the Videhas). During the late Vedic period (c. 1100–500 BCE), Videha became one of the major political and cultural centers of South Asia, along with Kuru and Pañcāla. The kings of the Videha Kingdom were called Janakas. The Videha Kingdom was later incorporated into the Vajji confederacy, which had its capital in the city of Vaishali, which is also in Mithila.
As of 2001[update] India census, Madhepura had a population of 45,015. Males constitute 55% of the population and females 45%. Madhepura has an average literacy rate of 62%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 71%, and female literacy is 51%. In Madhepura, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Dauram Madhepura railway station is situated on Khagaria-Saharsa-Purnea Loop Section. There are three pairs of passenger train to Purnia, Barhara Kothi & Saharsa Junction. There are direct trains to Patna Junction, Darbhanga, Jaynagar, Katihar, Ranchi, Delhi, Amritsar, Sealdah.
- Bhupendra Narayan Mandal University
- BAS School MADHEPURA
- Jannayak Karpoori Thakur Medical college.
- Polytechnic engineering college Kalasan chausa
- Singheshwar Mandir
- Durga Mandir Kalasan chausa
- Swami Vivekanand Vidyapith
- JNV madhepura
- P.Sc. College
- Commerce College
- Madhepura College
- C.M.Sc College
- R.P.M. College
- B R Oxford Residential Public School, Murligang Madhepura
- Shiv Nandan Prasad Mandal High School,
- Keshav Kanya High School,
- Rash Bihari High School
- Maya Vidya Niketan
- Swami Vivekananda Inter College
- Kiran Public School, Holy angels
- Wisdom Public School
- Madhepura Public School
- St.Johns Public School
- K.P.College Murliganj
- B.L.High School Murliganj
- Parasmani High School Babu Babhni
- Govt. High School Amari Murliganj Madhepura
- Govt. High school Kalasan chausa
- M.M. High School Kumarkhand
- Project Kanya High school Kumarkhand
- Durgapur, Bhddhi, Manguwar
- Ved Vyas Inter College Amleshwar Nagar Madhepura
- Ved Vyas Degree College Amleshwar Nagar Madhepura
- B.S.College Singheshwar Madhepura
- M.H.High School Rani Pokhar Madhepura
- Kolte Computer pvt. ltd. (KYP Center)
- Surendra public school,Laxmipur Bhagwati-10,Kumarkhand, Madhepura
- S.B.J.S. High School, udakishunganj, Madhepura
- Kanya madhya vidhalaya, udakishunganj, Madhepur
- Hansi mandal college, Bihari ganj, Madhepura
- "Women Empowerment Through Panchayati Raj Institutions". p. 74. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- Michael Witzel (1989), Tracing the Vedic dialects in Dialectes dans les litteratures Indo-Aryennes ed. Caillat, Paris, pages 13, 17 116–124, 141–143
- Witzel, M. (1989). "Tracing the Vedic dialects". In Caillat, C. (ed.). Dialectes dans les litteratures Indo-Aryennes. Paris: Fondation Hugot. pp. 141–143.
- Hemchandra, R. (1972). Political History of Ancient India. Calcutta: University of Calcutta.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.