Madagascar Kartz is a racing game based on DreamWorks Animation's Madagascar. It was released in 2009 and the second game on Madagascar's spin-off series. The Nintendo DS version was re-released in a bundle cart with Shrek's Carnival Craze Party Games.
|Platform(s)||Nintendo DS, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360|
The game is a basic kart racing game, and the player can perform jumps, flips, and rolls. There are many different stages from scenes of the franchise. The Madagascar Kartz Wheel is bundled with the Wii version of the game. This wheel is optional. This wheel's look is different from that of the Wii Wheel from Mario Kart Wii.
Playable characters include Alex the Lion, Marty the Zebra, Melman the Giraffe, Gloria the Hippotamus, The Penguins, The Chimps, and King Julien from the Madagascar films. Two characters from other movies are included alongside the Madagascar characters, Shrek from Shrek, and B.O.B. from Monsters vs. Aliens, all DreamWorks Animation franchises. Race types include Quick Race, Championship, Time Trial and Checkpoint race. A Championship race is one where the player collects mangoes and tries to finish first place in order to unlock higher speed classes (50cc, 100cc, 150cc, 200cc, the last one is raced in reverse direction/mirror mode), more karts and tracks. In Time Trial, players beat their own times and earn medals (gold, silver and bronze). In Checkpoint Race, players collect as many hourglasses as they can before the time runs out. There are several tracks in the game, most of which have 2 shortcuts. "I Like to Move It", sung by Reel 2 Real, is the menu theme.
Madagascar Kartz received "mixed or average reviews" on all platforms according to the review aggregation website Metacritic. Nintendo Gamer gave the Wii version a score of 41%, seven months after the game's release.
- IGN staff (October 9, 2009). "DreamWorks Animation's Madagascar Kartz Videogame Coming October 27 From Activision". IGN. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- Harris, Craig (October 30, 2009). "Madagascar Kartz Review (NDS)". IGN. Archived from the original on November 1, 2009. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- Harris, Craig (October 30, 2009). "Madagascar Kartz Review (Wii, PS3, X360)". IGN. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Madagascar Kartz (Wii)". Nintendo Gamer: 71. June 2010.
- "Madagascar Kartz". Official Xbox Magazine: 77. January 2010.
- "DreamWorks Madagascar Kartz for DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "Dreamworks Madagascar Kartz for PlayStation 3 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "DreamWorks Madagascar Kartz for Wii Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 19, 2016.
- "DreamWorks Madagascar Kartz for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 19, 2016.