Mad Dogs (American TV series)
|Created by||Cris Cole|
|Written by||Cris Cole|
Michael C. Martin
Brett C. Leonard
|Directed by||Charles McDougall|
John David Coles
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producers||Suzanne Mackie|
Amy M. Fleming
|Running time||40 — 56 minutes|
|Production companies||MiddKid Productions|
Cris Cole Productions
Left Bank Pictures
Sony Pictures Television
|Original network||Prime Video|
|Original release||January 15, 2015 –|
January 22, 2016
The show's first season consisted of 10 episodes, expanding on the British version's first season's four hours of content. It began airing on January 22, 2016 in the U.S., U.K., and Germany, with an early release of the show available in December 2015.
The actors have mostly episodic TV credits, including Billy Zane as a man wealthy from underworld connections who invites his friends for a stay in Belize, Michael Imperioli as an irresponsible but good-hearted former traveling musician, Romany Malco as a family man, and Ben Chaplin (who starred in the Zane role in the UK version of the show) as an embittered teacher. The show's female cast, including Allison Tolman and María Botto (reprising her role from the UK series), provide contrast to the male leads.
- Ben Chaplin as Joel
- Michael Imperioli as Lex
- Romany Malco as Gus
- Steve Zahn as Cobi
- Phil Davis as Lawrence, a local crime boss
- Mark Povinelli as The Cat, a hitman
- Rachael Holmes as Erica, a local pharmacy worker
- Maria Botto as Sophia Moreno, a local police woman
- Coby Bell as Aaron, a CIA agent
- Allison Tolman as Rochelle, an employee at the Embassy of the United States in Belize
- Billy Zane as Milo
- Ted Levine as Conrad Tull, an FBI agent
- Sutton Foster as Gerda.
Showrunner Cris Cole adapted the show from his own drama in the UK. It was originally under development at the FX network. Cole noted that because the American version is 10 hours to the British version's first season's four hours, the last six hours of the American version are "virgin territory" and have no comparative to the original.
In late-February 2016, Amazon announced that it had opted not to renew the series. Although the original intention had been for the show to be a 10 episode limited series, Amazon and the show leadership had broached the idea of a potential second season.
The show earned mostly positive reviews and anecdotal evidence pointed to solid early viewership. Critics have praised the cinematography of Belize in the "blue sky" show as "gorgeous." The first season holds a rating of 64 out of a 100 on metacritic.
Critics note that the show wanders during its formulaic middle episodes of the season but is best as interpersonal conflicts are the focus. Amazon opted not to renew the series for a second season.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Pilot"||Charles McDougall||Cris Cole||January 15, 2015|
|2||"Xtabai"||Alex Graves||Shawn Ryan||January 22, 2016|
|3||"Well"||Randall Einhorn||Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
|4||"Flares"||Clark Johnson||Brett C. Leonard & Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
|5||"Hat"||Uta Briesewitz||Eileen Myers||January 22, 2016|
|6||"Leslie"||Craig Zisk||Michael C. Martin||January 22, 2016|
|7||"Ice Cream"||Guy Ferland||Zev Borow||January 22, 2016|
|8||"Broodstock"||Mark Piznarksi||Jon Worley||January 22, 2016|
|9||"Seahorse"||Ted Griffin||Kent Rotherham||January 22, 2016|
|10||"Needles"||John David Coles||Cris Cole||January 22, 2016|
- Poniewozik, James (January 20, 2016). "Review: On 'Mad Dogs,' an Amazon Series, Male Bellicosity Rules". New York Times.
- Lloyd, Robert (January 21, 2016). "Amazon's 'Mad Dogs' is a repetitious story of unhappy middle-age men behaving badly". Los Angeles Times.
- Bianco, Robert (January 11, 2016). "'Mad Dogs' and Amazon go into the Belize sun". USA Today.
- Barraclough, Leo (January 21, 2016). "Sony Pictures Television Sells U.S. Drama 'Mad Dogs' to More Than 140 Countries". Variety.
- Lincoln, Ross A. (December 9, 2015). "Amazon Sets 'Mad Dogs' Premiere For January". Deadline.com.
- Dornbush, Jonathan (January 22, 2016). "Mad Dogs". Entertainment Weekly.
- Venable, Nick (January 18, 2016). "The 3 Best New Amazon Pilots, And Why You Should Be Watching". CinemaBlend.
- Stanhope, Kate (February 28, 2016). "Amazon's 'Mad Dogs' Canceled After One Season, EP Shawn Ryan Says". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Andreeva, Nellie (February 28, 2016). "'Mad Dogs' Ends Run On Amazon: No Season 2". Deadline.com.
- Nededog, Jethro (January 12, 2016). "Steve Zahn caught a potentially deadly fever while shooting Amazon series 'Mad Dogs'". Business Insider.
- "Mad Dogs (2016) : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2016-02-28). "'Mad Dogs' Ends Run On Amazon: No Season 2". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2016-05-23.