Machete Music is an urban music label owned by Universal Music Group. The record label had been largely associated with reggaeton music, but in recent years, it has been also been signing non-reggaeton artists such as Malverde, Mala Rodriguez and Chino XL. The label is part of Universal Music Latin Entertainment. Machete Music is one of the most prevalent labels in the Reggaeton genre.
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Distributor(s)||Universal Music Group|
|Country of origin||Puerto Rico|
According to Toy Selectah (also known as Toy Hernández, A&R of the label from 2004 to 2007), its president Gustavo López "suggested the name Machete, in part because of Control Machete, Hernández's former band". In 2010, the label launched its Machete Music Tour 2010 in celebration of the label's fifth anniversary. The label claims 80% of Latin Rhythm Billboard chart sales. In the five years between the label's establishment in 2005 and 2010, Machete has had 27 top ten albums on the Billboard Top Latin Albums chart with eleven of those being number one albums.
Artists signed on with Machete MusicEdit
Former artists on Machete MusicEdit
- Malverde Interview: The Legend Continues
- Chino XL Interview - "Return of the Poison Pen"
- Cobo, Leila (October 21, 2010). "Machete Music Tour 2010 To Launch With Sold Out NY Concert". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- "SESAC Latina Sponsors Machete Music Tour". SESAC. January 12, 2011. Retrieved February 11, 2013.
- Ben-Yehuda, Ayala (June 4, 2010). "Brothers of the Road". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 16, 2013.
|This article about a Puerto Rican record label is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|