Machelen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmɑxələ(n)]) is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. The municipality comprises the towns of Diegem and Machelen proper. On 1 January 2006 Machelen had a total population of 12,500. The total area is 11.59 km² which gives a population density of 1,078 inhabitants per km².
St. Gertrudis church in Machelen
|• Mayor||Jean-Pierre De Groef (sp.a)|
|• Governing party/ies||sp.a, VLD, Spirit|
|• Total||11.59 km2 (4.47 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2017)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,400/sq mi)|
|Postal codes||1830, 1831|
Brussels Airlines has its corporate headquarters in the b.house on the grounds of Brussels Airport and in Diegem, Machelen. Brussels Airlines formed in 2006 as a result of a merger between SN Brussels and Virgin Express.
Primary schools include:
- Gemeentelijke Basisschool De Fonkel (Diegem)
- Basisschool De Sterrenhemel
- Vrije Basisschool De Windroos
- Parochiale Basisschool (Diegem)
Bibliotheek Machelen-Diegem is the public library of the town.
- Population per municipality as of 1 January 2017 (XLS; 397 KB)
- "bedrijf.jpg." Machelen. Retrieved on 25 April 2010.
- "Corp – Contact Us Archived 13 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine.." Brussels Airlines. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Sabena reborn: SN Brussels-Virgin Express merger 'set to take former Belgian flag carrier brand'." Flight Global. 27 October 2006. Retrieved on 23 October 2009.
- "Contact Us." Chevron Phillips. Retrieved on September 6, 2017. "Chevron Phillips Chemical International N.V. Airport Plaza - Stockholm Building Leonardo Da Vincilaan 19 1831 Diegem Belgium"
- "Kleuter- en basisonderwijs." Machelen. Retrieved on September 6, 2017.
- "Secundair onderwijs." Machelen. Retrieved on September 6, 2017.
- Home. GISO Machelen. Retrieved on September 6, 2017.
- Home. Machelen, bibliotheek.be. Retrieved on September 6, 2017.