Macclesfield Football Club is an association football club based in Macclesfield, Cheshire, England. Founded on 13 October 2020 by local businessman Robert Smethurst, it is a phoenix club of the former Macclesfield Town F.C., which was wound-up after a High Court ruling on 16 September 2020. The club will join the North West Counties Premier Division, the fifth step of the National League system, for the 2021–22 season.
|Full name||Macclesfield Football Club|
|Founded||13 October 2020|
|Ground||Moss Rose, Macclesfield|
|Capacity||5,911 (2,375 seated)|
|League||North West Counties League Premier Division|
Macclesfield F.C. is a successor to Macclesfield Town. Founded in 1874, Macclesfield Town was liquidated and expelled from the National League in 2020 due to debts of over £500,000. Its assets were put up for sale, including the Moss Rose stadium on the Rightmove property website. In October 2020, the stadium and all available assets were purchased by Robert Smethurst, the owner of Stockport Town, with the aim of returning professional football to Macclesfield by creating the phoenix club as Macclesfield F.C. Smethurst also appointed the Welsh former professional footballer Robbie Savage as a member of the board for the new phoenix club with Danny Whitaker as manager. He also invested in upgrading the stadium to improve the commercial viability of the new club.
In May 2021, it was announced that Macclesfield would be placed in the North West Counties Premier Division for their first season. Savage announced that the club would be joining with his foundation to offer free tickets to foundation participants to encourage youth attendance at the club's matches.
Shirt sponsors and manufacturersEdit
|Period||Kit Manufacturer||Shirt Sponsor|
- As of 4 June 2021
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- "Macclesfield FC". Macclesfield FC. Archived from the original on 2021-05-21. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Macclesfield Town FC wound up in High Court over debts exceeding £500,000". BBC Sport. 16 September 2020. Archived from the original on 16 September 2020. Retrieved 16 September 2020.
- "Government review of football will explore alternative ownership models for clubs". The Independent. 23 April 2021. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Macclesfield Town expelled from National League after club wound up". Cheshire Live. 2020-09-29. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- Powell, Dave (2020-10-01). "Macclesfield Town's 129-year-old Moss Rose home up for sale on Rightmove". Cheshire Live. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- Scapens, Alex (2020-10-07). "Footballing future in Macclesfield given boost as the Silkmen are bought". Cheshire Live. Archived from the original on 2021-04-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Macclesfield FC: Robert Smethurst takes over club as Robbie Savage joins board". BBC Sport. 2020-10-13. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- Whelan, Dan (2020-10-14). "Macc plots stadium improvements after takeover". Place North West. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-19.
- "Macclesfield FC: Reformed club to join North West Counties Premier Division next season". BBC Sport. 2021-05-18. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Robbie Savage launches foundation to give children free access to grassroots football". ITV. 2021-04-27. Archived from the original on 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-05-18.
- "Macclesfield Football Club First Team". Macclesfield FC. Archived from the original on 21 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Macclesfield FC can confirm our first summer signing". Twitter. 4 June 2021. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- "Team Members". Macclesfield F.C. Archived from the original on 2021-05-21. Retrieved 2021-05-19.