Maara is an upcoming Indian Tamil language romantic drama film directed by newcomer Dhilip Kumar, and produced by Prateek Chakravorty and Shruti Nallappa of Pramod Films. A remake of the Malayalam film Charlie (2015) by Martin Prakkat, the film stars Madhavan, Shraddha Srinath and Sshivada in the lead roles. The film's music is composed by Ghibran, with cinematography and editing were handled by Dinesh Krishnan, Karthik Muthukumar and Bhuvan Srinivasan. The film is scheduled to release through Amazon Prime Video on 17 December 2020.
|Directed by||Dhilip Kumar|
|Produced by||Prateek Chakravorty|
|Edited by||Bhuvan Srinivasan|
|Distributed by||Amazon Prime Video|
Producers Prateek Chakravorty and Shruti Nallappa of Pramod Films acquired the Tamil remake rights of the Malayalam film Charlie (2015) by Martin Prakkat, in February 2016. The producers were initially keen to retain Parvathy Thiruvothu from the original version, and considered either Vijay Sethupathi, Sivakarthikeyan or Siddharth to play the titular role. In April 2016, Madhavan was signed on to play the lead role, while Prakkat agreed to also direct the Tamil version. The director later opted out and A. L. Vijay was signed in June 2016 to helm the project, and agreed in principle to take up the project after the completion of his commitments on Devi (2016) and Vanamagan (2017).
In January 2017, actress Sai Pallavi signed on to play the leading female role, with the makers announcing that production would soon begin in Ooty and Pondicherry. Following several months of inactivity, director Vijay confirmed in June 2017 that he would be prioritising other projects and the adaptation of Charlie was indefinitely postponed. He opted to instead work on the bilingual drama Karu (2018) with the dates he had for Sai Pallavi, and completed an alternate project for Pramod Films, the dance film Lakshmi (2018).
In June 2018, Pramod Films announced that they would make the film under the title of Maara with director Dhilip Kumar (of Kalki fame) signed on to replace Vijay. Dhilip confirmed that the makers were keen to retain Madhavan for the film despite the change of crew, believing that only the actor had the "innate charm" meant for the character of the lead protagonist. Dhilip stated that the makers were initially apprehensive about casting Shraddha Srinath as the lead actress, as she had already been paired with Madhavan in Vikram Vedha (2017), but finalised her because Maara was in a different genre. The director also suggested that he felt both Madhavan and Shraddha shared the real-life characteristics of their on-screen roles. Dhilip worked on editing the script, while the additional screenplay was written by Bipin and dialogues were written by Neelan. Ghibran was signed as the film's music composer, Deepak Bhagwan was selected to be the cinematographer and Malayali art director Ajayan Challisery was also picked to join the crew.
The actors completed a week-long rehearsal before the start of shoot, with production beginning in Pondicherry on 18 June 2018. The film was subsequently put on hold and Madhavan later became busy with the production of his first directorial venture, Rocketry: The Nambi Effect (2020), meaning that there was a schedule break of over a year. In October 2019, production restarted in Kochi with child actor Minon and comedian Alexander Babu joining the cast.
The film entered post-production in mid 2020.
The film's music and background score was composed by Ghibran. On 28 October 2020, Think Music India released the lyrical video of the first single "Yaar Azhaippadhu", which had lyrics written by Thamarai and sung by Sid Sriram.
- "Madhavan begins shooting for the 'Charlie' remake!". Sify.
- "Dulquer Salmaan's Charlie to be remade in Tamil". India Today. Ist.
- Srinivasan, Latha (12 February 2016). "Siddharth, Vijay Sethupathi or Sivakarthikeyan for Dulquer's 'Charlie' role?". DNA India.
- "Madhavan To Star in Remake Of Dulquer Salman's Charlie".
- "Madhavan to act in the Tamil remake of Charlie". Behindwoods. 24 April 2016.
- "Madhavan to do a Tamil film before the remake of Charlie?". India Today. Ist.
- "R Madhavan Was the 'First Choice' For Tamil Remake of Charlie – NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com.
- Subramanian, Anupama (19 January 2017). "Sai Pallavi to star opposite Madhavan". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Sai Pallavi to romance Madhavan in Tamil remake of Charlie". India Today. Ist.
- "A L Vijay says Charlie remake not happening soon". The New Indian Express.
- "Vijay prefers Sai Pallavi's Karu, delays Charlie remake with Madhavan". 6 May 2017.
- Subramanian, Anupama (15 June 2018). "Madhavan is Maara now". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Madhavan, Shraddha team up once again, for romantic drama – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Vishwaroopam 2 should have been my first release with Kamal sir: Ghibran". The New Indian Express.
- "Shraddha Srinath on reuniting with Vikram Vedha star Madhavan in Maara: Seems to be film's biggest selling point right now- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 19 June 2018.
- "R Madhavan's captivating look for his upcoming film 'Maara' is hard to miss – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Standup comedian Alexander joins Madhavan's Maara – Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Standup comic Alexander part of Madhavan's Maara". The New Indian Express.
- "An artistic actor". The New Indian Express.
- "Madhavan's 'Maara' post production underway!". Times of India. 4 June 2020. Retrieved 25 July 2020.
- "R Madhavan Shares Yaar Azhaippadhu Song Video From Maara; Fans Say 'Charming'- Republic World". Republic World. Retrieved 8 November 2020.