Maanbumigu Maanavan (English: Respectable student) is a 1996 Indian Tamil action drama film and was directed by S. A. Chandrasekhar. The film has Vijay and Swapna Bedi in the lead roles, while Chinni Jayanth, Manivannan, Vijayakumar, Mansoor Ali Khan and Shrinath play other supporting roles. Music was composed by Deva. Vijay had a completely different hair and beard style, and an image makeover in this movie. This was the debut movie for Swapna Bedi. The songs were a big hit but the film ran for more than 50 days in theaters in Tamil Nadu. It was a flop at the box office.
|Directed by||S. A. Chandrasekhar|
|Produced by||Manicam Narayanan|
|Screenplay by||S. A. Chandrasekhar|
|Story by||Shoba Chandrasekhar|
|Edited by||Gautham Raju|
7th Channel Communications
|Distributed by||7th Channel Communications|
The film is dealing with student strength. Shivaraj (Vijay), a college student, is leading a happy-go-lucky life, having a nice time with his friends, until two of his friends fall in love with each other. Facing stiff opposition from the girl's father, all the friends get together and get the couple married. Unfortunately, the married girl is gang-raped in the college campus by Madhan (Kalyan), the son of a ruthless politician Desingan (Mansoor Ali Khan). Unable to get justice in court, Shiva, along with his friends, now takes it upon himself to avenge his friend's death but pays a very heavy price. His mother is killed by Desingan, and they lose at court. Shiva is determined to get justice in his own way. He kills Madhan and Desingan and is sentenced to a normal jail punishment for six months for killing a corrupt advocate Mani Iyengar (Manivannan) and refusing Judge Ganapathi's (Jai Ganesh) words. After his release, he reunites with his ladylove Sneha (Swapna Pedi) by the help of her father Aavudaiyappan (Vijayakumar), who is the new police officer of Chennai.
- Vijay as Shiva
- Swapna Bedi as Sneha
- Mansoor Ali Khan as Desigan
- Vijayakumar as ACP Chandrabose
- Manivannan as Kiladi Krishnasamy
- Jai Ganesh as Judge Ganapathy
- Chinni Jayanth as Kumar, Shiva's friend
- Kalyan as Madhan, Desigan's son
- Shruthi Raj as Priya
- Srinath as Sundar
- Jyothi Meena as Jayalakshmi
- Typist Gopu as inspector
- Ennatha Kannaiya as Chandrabose's servant
- Kavitha Solairaj as Kavitha, Shiva's sister
- Chaplin Balu as Shiva's friend
- Ashok Raja as Shiva's friend
- Alphonsa (Special appearance)
Initially, Maanbumigu Maanavan was awarded with an 'A' certificate by the Indian Censor Board due to its violent action scenes. However, the committee later revised it to a 'U'certificate. The satellite rights of the film were purchased by Sun TV.
|1||Kodu Poda||Kanmani Subbu||Suresh Peters||5:16|
|2||Mathavaram||Kanmani Subbu||Deva, S. N. Surendar, Krishnaraj||5:13|
|3||Poori Poori||Vaali||Mano, Swarnalatha||4:51|
|4||Sooriyane||Vaali||K. S. Chithra||4:12|
|6||December Mathathu||Kanmani Subbu||S. N. Surendar, Suja Arun||5:15|
- "Vijay Hit, Flop, Blockbuster Movies | Ilayathalapathy Vijay Films List". Scooptimes. 17 October 2017. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Google Groups". groups.google.com. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "Maanbumigu Maanavan Songs". mp3tamilkey. Retrieved 3 October 2013.