MX vs. ATV
MX vs. ATV is an American racing video game franchise developed by Rainbow Studios and published by THQ Nordic that focuses on off-road racing, as a crossover between Sony's ATV Offroad Fury series and THQ's 2004 video game MX Unleashed. Early games in the series, starting with MX vs. ATV Unleashed, were published by THQ prior to its bankruptcy and liquidation in 2013. As the name suggests, the series' main focus is racing with motocross bikes and all-terrain vehicles, although other vehicles such as dune buggies and sport trucks were also featured in the games. Players can also fly airplanes and helicopters in some of the games.
|MX vs. ATV|
THQ Nordic (2014–)
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
|First release||MX vs. ATV Unleashed|
March 16, 2005
|Latest release||MX vs. ATV All Out|
March 27, 2018
On August 9, 2011, THQ announced that it would shut down THQ Digital Phoenix (which Rainbow Studios was known as at the time) as well as other game development studios and not "actively pursue further development" of the MX vs. ATV franchise in a company re-organization. Nevertheless, the series endured THQ's demise, and in April 2013, Nordic Games acquired the franchise through the liquidation of THQ. Nordic Games then continued the series in 2014 with MX vs. ATV Supercross, then endeavored to bring the series to eighth-generation consoles, porting Supercross to some of them many months later and releasing another sequel for them in 2018, titled MX vs. ATV: All Out.
The MX vs. ATV series is a cumulative crossover between Sony's ATV Offroad Fury series and THQ's MX Unleashed video game.
ATV Offroad Fury seriesEdit
|ATV Offroad Fury|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable|
|First release||ATV Offroad Fury|
March 16, 2005
|Latest release||ATV Offroad Fury 4|
October 31, 2006
ATV Offroad Fury is a series of ATV racing games published by Sony Computer Entertainment that ran from 2001 to 2006, consisting of four main titles released on the PlayStation 2. The latter two games were then ported to the PlayStation Portable under different titles.
The main titles of the ATV Offroad Fury series are:
- ATV Offroad Fury (2001)
- ATV Offroad Fury 2 (2002)
- ATV Offroad Fury 3 (2004; ported to the PSP as ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails in 2005)
- ATV Offroad Fury 4 (2006; ported to the PSP as ATV Offroad Fury Pro in the same year)
MX Unleashed is a standalone motorcross racing video game developed by Rainbow Studios and published by THQ in 2004 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox, one year before the first proper installment of the MX vs. ATV series, MX vs. ATV Unleashed, was also published by THQ.
After the release of the first three ATV Offroad Fury games and MX Unleashed, the MX vs. ATV series began in earnest with MX vs. ATV Unleashed in 2005. Shortly after the series began, the ATV Offroad Fury series quietly concluded with one last sequel, as well as PSP ports of its last two games.
|2005||MX vs. ATV Unleashed||Yes||Yes||Yes||Port[a]||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|2007||MX vs. ATV Untamed||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|2009||MX vs. ATV Reflex||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|2011||MX vs. ATV Alive||No||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|2014||MX vs. ATV Supercross||No||No||Port[b]||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Port[b]||Port[b]|
|2018||MX vs. ATV All Out||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
- Released in 2006 as MX vs. ATV: On the Edge.
- Released in 2015/2016 as MX vs. ATV: Supercross Encore.
- "MX vs. ATV Unleashed On GameVortex.com". Psillustrated.com. Retrieved 2012-08-16.
- McWhertor, Michael (August 9, 2011). "THQ Cuts 200 Jobs, MX vs. ATV Series, de Blob Studio and More". Kotaku. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- Mitchell, Richard (August 9, 2011). "THQ 'not to actively pursue further development' of MX vs ATV franchise". Joystiq. Retrieved August 9, 2011.
- "The future of Darksiders, Red Faction and THQ's other IP at Nordic Games". Polygon. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (December 20, 2013). "MX vs ATV Supercross Coming in 2014". IGN. Retrieved December 23, 2013.
|This off-road racing video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|