MTV Music (UK & Ireland)
MTV Music is a British pay television channel operated by Viacom International Media Networks Europe. The brand was first launched in the UK and Ireland before launching in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, the Netherlands and Poland. Unlike other MTV Music channels, This channel offers subtitles on selected programmes.
|Launched||1 February 2011|
|Network||MTV (UK & Ireland)|
|Owned by||Viacom International Media Networks Europe|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)|
|Audience share||0.03% (May 2017, BARB)|
|Country||United Kingdom and Ireland|
|Broadcast area||United Kingdom and Ireland|
|Timeshift service||MTV Music +1|
Channel 356 (+1)
|Virgin Media (UK)||Channel 310|
|Virgin Media (Ireland)||Channel 708|
|TalkTalk TV||Channel 536|
|BT TV||Channel 536|
Viacom International Media Network announced the introduction of a non-stop music channel in January 2011. As the main MTV brand has deviated from its original purpose and increased competition from other music channels and online services, MTV addressed this issue by launching a new music channel MTV Music. The channel launched on 1 February 2011 in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. The channel replaced MTV Shows. On the date of MTV Shows' closure and MTV Music's launch, MTV moved up the Sky programme guide from its long-held berth at the head of the Music section to the Entertainment guide; in return the MTV Shows broadcast capacity moved down from the Entertainment section to take the place of MTV in the Music guide, becoming MTV Music. MTV Music began broadcasting in widescreen in the UK & Ireland on 28 March 2012. On 15 February 2016, MTV Music +1 launched in the UK on Sky channel 358, replacing the standard-definition MTV Live.
A pan-European version of the channel exists broadcasting 24 hours without advertising. The channel is registered with the broadcasting regulator RRTV in the Czech Republic . This channel is available in Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and South Africa. Previously, MTV Music UK was made available across Europe.
MTV Music Ireland launched on 15 October, 2013. This broadcasts the UK version with Irish entertainment updates and adverts. . MTV Music Ireland closed on 31 May, 2019 and was replaced with the UK version.
- "MTV to launch new flagship music channel". Beehive City. 19 January 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- http://www.skymedia.ie/_downloads/394/Nick%20Jnr2%20%20and%20MTV%20Music%20Press%20Release%20180913.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Le note 7 giorni su 7: nasce Mtv Music" (in Italian). Corriere della Sera. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Sky TV (4 November 2015). "New channel alert! MTV NZ is mixing it up with the world's greatest music from the 90s to today - MTV Music launches 1 December on channel 022". Facebook. Retrieved 22 November 2015.
- "Viva Polska zmieni się w MTV Music" (in Polish). Viva Polska. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.