Irancell is an Iranian telecommunications company that operates Iran's largest 2G-3G-4G-4.5G mobile network, and fixed wireless TD-LTE internet services. The company's joint venture in 2006 with MTN Group (49%) and Iran Electronic Development Company (IEDC) (51%) were launched in Iran. Irancell in fiscal year of 1392 with revenue of 4.9 billion dollars is at number 32 on the list of largest companies of Iran. Currently, MTN Group holds a 49% percent stake in Irancell consortium, Iran Electronic Industries and the Foundation's Islamic Revolution Iran Electronic Development Company hold the other 51% of Irancell's shares to be allocated.
|Industry||Mobile network operator|
|Seyed Ali Zarea |
|Products||Mobile broadband services, and TD-LTE fixed wireless broadband services|
Within a short time after being granted the license, Irancell was able to complete the network operation and roll-out and started test launch of its network on 28 August 2006 (some 9 months after being granted the license). Irancell network was officially launched on 21 October 2006 in Tehran, Tabriz and Mashhad. The network provides the subscribers with an advanced generation of GSM system to enable them get use of EDGE (2.75 G).
Irancell has two shareholders: Iran Electronic Development Company (IEDC) (51%), and MTN International (Mauritius) Limited (49%).
IEDC currently has two key shareholders:
Sunni insult and boycottEdit
In July 2013, Iran's Sunni community which is the second largest religious group, accused the company of insulting caliph Umar, after he was called "deceived by the Devil" in a competition's question. People in predominantly Sunni Provinces Kurdistan and Sistan & Baluchestan boycotted the company and a Sunni MP voiced their anger in a parliamentary session. Irancell later apologised for the 'unintentional mistake'.
Mobile web pricingEdit
After Irancell doubled the prices for its mobile web services in December 2014, some angered users started protesting the company via the social media. Subscribers decided to hold a boycott on the company and remove their SIM cards altogether on December 31, 2014.
Subscribers' privacy leakEdit
- "MTN Irancell 4G Network Launched Commercially". ICTna.ir. 3 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Subordinate Companies - Iran Electronic Development Company". Sina Electronic Development Holding Company. Archived from the original on 12 October 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2012.
- Stecklow, Steve; George, Marcus; Westall, Sylvia (4 June 2012). Michael Williams (ed.). "Exclusive: Iranian cell-phone carrier obtained banned U.S. tech". Reuters. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Iran mobile company indicted for "insulting Sunnis"". BBC World Service. 22 July 2013. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- "Subscribers turning Irancell off?". Shargh (in Persian) (2198). 30 December 2014. p. 15.
- "Irancell Data Leak Raises Security Questions". Financial Tribune. 18 July 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Irancell was warned". Iranian Labour News Agency (in Persian). 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.