Mårten Gustaf Mickos (born November 6, 1962 in Espoo, Finland) is a technology executive based in San Francisco. He is the current CEO of HackerOne, a security vulnerability coordination and bug bounty platform.
Mårten Gustaf Mickos
|Occupation||CEO at HackerOne|
Mickos was chief executive officer of MySQL AB from January 2001 to February 2008, when Sun Microsystems bought MySQL AB. He served as senior vice president of the database group at Sun Microsystems until March 2009.
Mickos moved from Finland to Los Altos Hills, CA in 2003 and currently resides in San Francisco.
Early life and educationEdit
Mickos is the third born of four siblings and was raised in the town of Kauniainen, outside Helsinki, Finland. The family later moved to Pietarsaari (Jakobstad), where Mickos attended high school. His parents were both engineers by training.
Mårten was a co-founder and CEO of MatchON Sports Ltd. Prior to this, he was CEO of Sonera subsidiary Intellitel Communications Inc, and held sales and marketing positions at Solid Information Technology Ltd and other software companies.
Mickos became CEO of MySQL AB in January 2001 and served in this role until February 2008. During this time, he became a voice for the value of, and business model behind, commercial open source. Mickos oversaw the settlement with NuSphere Corp over a dispute regarding the use of MySQL AB's trademarks, copyrights and compliance with the GNU General Public License (GPL). After Sun acquired MySQL in February, 2008 for $1 billion, Mickos served as Senior Vice President of Sun’s database group until March 2009.
In 2009, Marten participated as an expert witness for the European Commission when they were looking at the Oracle-MySQL merger through antitrust perspectives.
In March 2010, Mårten was appointed CEO of Eucalyptus Systems, the company behind the Eucalyptus open source software for cloud computing on computer clusters. When Hewlett-Packard acquired Eucalyptus in September, 2014, they appointed Mickos SVP and GM of HP’s Cloud Business Unit. Mickos left HP in October 2015.
Mickos served on the Board of directors of Nokia Corporation from 2012 to 2015. Mickos also served on the Boards of Electrosonic, RightScale, Mozilla Messaging and the Node.js Foundation.
In November, 2015 Mickos became CEO of bug bounty platform company HackerOne.
Mickos and his wife married in 1988 and raised three children, now adults, in Scandinavia and California. The couple divorced in 2015.
Awards and recognitionEdit
Mickos has received the following awards and recognition:
- "HackerOne Snags Former HP Exec Mårten Mickos As CEO".
- "Former MySQL CEO Mickos joins Benchmark".
- "Sun's CEO talks up buy as MySQL deal closes".
- "My liquidity moment: Mårten Mickos".
- "CEO Talk: Marten Mickos".
- "An Interview with Marten Mickos of MySQL".
- "Former MySQL CEO Marten Mickos Joins Benchmark As Entrepreneur In Residence".
- "New CEO at MySQL AB".
- "Open for business: Building successful commerce around open source".
- "MySQL, NuSphere Settle GPL Contract Dispute".
- "MySQL CEO Marten Mickos Leaves As Sun Reorganizes".
- "Former MySQL CEO Marten Mickos Joins Benchmark As Entrepreneur In Residence". TechCrunch.
- "Former MySQL CEO Marten Mickos joins Index Ventures as EIR". TechCrunch.
- "I was CEO of MySQL, am CEO of Eucalyptus". Archived from the original on 2014-06-27.
- "Mickos new CEO at cloud manager Eucalyptus". The Register.
- "Mickos new CEO at cloud manager Eucalyptus". ZDNet.
- "Nokia plans board of directors refresh, chairman to step down". Engadget.
- "Mårten Mickos Named CEO of Eucalyptus Systems".
- "Former MySQL CEO Joins Cloud Management Vendor". CIO Magazine.
- "Mozilla Messaging starts up operations".
- "HackerOne CEO Talks About Joining the Node.js Foundation and Becoming a Board Member".
- "HackerOne Snags Former HP Exec Mårten Mickos As CEO". TechCrunch.
- "My liquidity moment: Mårten Mickos". Financial Times.
- "The Silicon Valley 100: The most amazing and inspiring people in tech right now".
- "Secrets of the Serial Entrepreneur: Interview with Mårten Mickos".
- "Press Release: MySQL Wins Audemars Piguet "Changing Times Award"".
- "Press release: Nokia Foundation Award to Mårten Mickos". Nokia.