Lyca Productions is an Indian entertainment company, which was established by Subaskaran Allirajah in 2014. A subgroup of Lycamobile, the production studio has been involved in the production and distribution of films made in India.
|Founded||Chennai, Tamil Nadu in 2014|
Pirivom Santhippom (2008) was the first film produced by A. Subhaskaran under Gnanam films. Lyca Productions chose to collaborate with Ayngaran International to produce and signed on AR Murugadoss and Vijay to be a part of their debut project. A social drama tackling the issue of farmers committing suicide due to corporate encroachment, Kaththi was shot throughout early 2014 with Samantha and Neil Nitin Mukesh signed on for other pivotal roles. As the film announced its release plans, several pro-Tamil pressure groups demanded all references to Lyca Productions to be removed from the title and other publicity material. The groups felt it was unacceptable that a business house, allegedly reported to be connected to Mahinda Rajapaksa , would be allowed to produce a Tamil movie in Tamil Nadu when the Tamil Nadu Assembly, citing human rights violations during the civil war in the island nation, had already passed a resolution seeking severance of business ties with Sri Lanka. Unable to reach a compromise with the pressure groups, and fearing a boycott and violence, Lyca Productions chose to remove its name from the copies released in India. Kaththi consequently managed to release in October 2014 to positive reviews, with Rediff.com stating that the film "entertains with a message", while Sify.com similarly stated that it was a "well made entertainer with a powerful message". The film became a very profitable venture at the box office for Lyca Productions, grossing over 100 crore rupees within two weeks of release.
In late 2015, Lyca Productions agreed a deal with Dhanush for the worldwide distribution rights of two of his productions, Naanum Rowdydhaan (2015) and Visaranai (2016). The move was also met with protests, though Naanum Rowdydhaan released without any problems and also became a profitable venture for the studio. Also throughout 2015, Lyca Productions worked on the pre-production of 2.0, a sequel to Shankar's earlier Enthiran (2010), and signed on Rajinikanth and Amy Jackson to feature in key roles. Believed to be the most expensive Indian production of all time, the team also negotiated for several months with Arnold Schwarzenegger for a role in the film, but eventually did not sign him. The studio also launched another film titled Enakku Innoru Per Irukku with G. V. Prakash Kumar in the lead role during December 2015.
|2014||Kaththi||Tamil||AR Murugadoss||Vijay, Samantha, Neil Nitin Mukesh||Two look-a-likes eventually come together to tackle the burning issues of farmers committing suicide due to corporate encroachment.|||
|2016||Enakku Innoru Per Irukku||Tamil||Sam Anton||G. V. Prakash Kumar, Anandhi, Saravanan||A simpleton is mistakenly earmarked as the successor of an ageing notorious don after falling in love with the don's daughter.|||
|2017||Khaidi No. 150||Telugu||V. V. Vinayak||Chiranjeevi, Kajal Aggarwal, Tarun Arora||Two look-a-likes eventually come together to tackle the burning issues of farmers committing suicide due to corporate encroachment.|||
|Yaman||Tamil||Jeeva Shankar||Vijay Antony, Miya, Thiagarajan||A young man enters politics in order to fight corruption and avenge the murder of his father.|||
|Ippadai Vellum||Tamil||Gaurav Narayanan||Udhayanidhi Stalin, Manjima Mohan, Daniel Balaji||Two innocent men are mistaken for members of a terrorist organisation.|
|2018||Karu||Tamil||A. L. Vijay||Sai Pallavi, Naga Shourya, RJ Balaji||After an abortion, a woman's life takes an unexpected turn when she is visited by the foetus, who is now grown up and is visible to her.|
|Kolamavu Kokila||Tamil||Nelson Dilipkumar||Nayanthara, Yogi Babu, Saranya||A young woman gets involved with a drug smuggling gang in order to pay for her mother's cancer treatment.|
|Chekka Chivantha Vaanam||Tamil||Mani Ratnam||Arvind Swami, STR, Vijay Sethupathi, Arun Vijay||A family of gangsters go through a power struggle as they attempt to find the assassin who killed their father.|
|Vada Chennai||Tamil||Vetrimaaran||Dhanush, Andrea Jeremiah, Aishwarya Rajesh||Set in North Chennai, a young man is drawn into a gang war.|
|2.0||Tamil||S. Shankar||Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar, Amy Jackson||Post-production|
|2019||Tamil||K. V. Anand||Mohanlal, Suriya, Arya, Sayyeshaa||Filming|
|Tamil||Sundar C||STR, Megha Akash, Catherine Tresa||Filming|
|Indian 2||Tamil||S. Shankar||Kamal Haasan||Filming|
|Sabaash Naidu||Tamil||Kamal Haasan||Kamal Haasan, Shruti Haasan, Ramya Krishnan||Delayed|
|Imsai Arasan 24th Pulikecei||Tamil||Chimbudeven||Vadivelu, Parvathy Omanakuttan||Delayed|
In addition to the films produced by Lyca Productions since 2014, the following films from other banners were distributed by the company:
- Naanum Rowdydhaan (2015)
- Visaranai (2016)
- Vetrivel (2016)
- Spyder (2017)
- Kaala (2018)
- Irumbu Thirai (2018)
- Pariyerum Perumal (2018)
- Sandakozhi 2 (2018)
- Dhruva Natchathiram (2018)
- "Kaththi: Lyca Subaskaran Allirajah finally opens up about Vijay and the controversies - Only Kollywood". 12 September 2014.
- "AR Murugadoss – Vijay - Superstars plan for the future - Top 10 News".
- "Sword hangs over Kaththi". 21 October 2014 – via The Hindu.
- "Vijay: All issues over release of Kaththi resolved - Rediff.com Movies".
- "Review: Kaththi entertains with a message".
- "Review : (2014)". www.sify.com.
- "'Kaththi' crosses Rs.100 crore mark". 3 November 2014 – via The Hindu.
- "'Kaththi' mints Rs.15.4 crore on release day". 23 October 2014 – via The Hindu.
- "Lyca Productions' new film in trouble". 22 October 2015 – via The Hindu.
- "Lyca Productions making a comeback". 6 September 2015 – via The Hindu.
- "Deep in the no-returns market". 10 December 2015 – via The Hindu.
- "GV Prakash and Sam Anton's next titled as Enakku Innoru Peru Irukku".
- "Kaththi review: Beneath the flab, some solid masala moments". The Hindu. 22 October 2014.
- Rangan, Baradwaj (17 June 2016). "Enakku Innoru Per Irukku: A new don" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (11 January 2017). "Khaidi No.150: Chiranjeevi returns in style" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Menon, Vishal (25 February 2017). "Yaman review: Yaman of the moment" – via www.thehindu.com.