The sandhill rustic (Luperina nickerlii) is a noctuid moth found in various parts of western, southern and central Europe with several subspecies. The species was first described by Christian Friedrich Freyer in 1845.
Technical description and variationEdit
It is like Luperina testacea, but olive grey, without any rufous tinge; inner and outer lines conversely edged with whitish; a blackish shade before inner line from median vein to inner margin, interrupted at vein 1; claviform stigma broadly blackish; orbicular a minute white spot; reniform subquadrate, with fuscous centre and broad white annulus, the area beyond it blackish, submarginal line whiter, preceded, except between veins 6 and 7, by a blackish shade; a row of neat black marginal lunules; fringe dark grey pencilled with light grey; hindwing pure white, with dark marginal lunules and white fringe; the veins dark. 
The sandhill rustic in BritainEdit
Subspecies leechi, is found on Loe Bar, Cornwall, the shingle beach which separates Loe Pool from the sea. Two pupae, found in the sand, by Barry Goater and Michael Leech in September 1974 was the first sign of this previously unknown subspecies. The female moth is reluctant to fly and rarely appears at light; behaviour that has presumably evolved as an adaptation to its windswept habitat. With only one known population ssp. leechi is a Biodiversity Action Plan species, is listed in the Red Data Book and a species account is given in the Cornish RDB.
The sandhill rustic in IrelandEdit
- Seitz, A. Ed., 1914 Die Großschmetterlinge der Erde, Verlag Alfred Kernen, Stuttgart Band 3: Abt. 1, Die Großschmetterlinge des palaearktischen Faunengebietes, Die palaearktischen eulenartigen Nachtfalter, 1914
- Waring, P. & Townsend, M. (2003). Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland. Hook: British Wildlife Publishing.
- Smith, F.H.N. (1997) The Moths and Butterflies of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. Wallingford: Gem Publishing Company.
- Spalding, A., Truscott, L.A.C. & Worth, J. (2009) Moths and Butterflies. In CISBFR, Red Data Book for Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. 2nd Edition. Praze-an-Beeble: Croceago Press.
- Porter J. (1997) The Colour Identification Guide to Caterpillars of the British Isles. London: Penguin Group.
- Robinson, Gaden S.; Ackery, Phillip R.; Kitching, Ian J.; Beccaloni, George W.; Hernández, Luis M. (2010). "Search the database - introduction and help". HOSTS - A Database of the World's Lepidopteran Hostplants. Natural History Museum, London.
- Kimber, Ian. "73.132 BF2354 Sandhill Rustic Luperina nickerlii Doubleday, 1864". UKMoths. Retrieved 5 July 2019.
- Savela, Markku. "Luperina nickerlii (Freyer, 1845)". Lepidoptera and Some Other Life Forms. Retrieved 5 July 2019. Taxonomy
- Fauna Europaea
- Site dedicated to the sandhill rustic
- Arkive page on the sandhill rustic
- Lepiforum e.V.