Luke Jackson (baseball)
|Atlanta Braves – No. 77|
|Born: August 24, 1991|
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|September 4, 2015, for the Texas Rangers|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 23, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.54|
Jackson attended Calvary Christian Academy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. As a senior, he went 8-1 with a 0.90 ERA. After his senior season, he was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the first round, 45th overall, of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft. He signed with the Rangers, forgoing his commitment to play college baseball at the University of Miami. He made his professional debut in 2011 for the Hickory Crawdads, for whom he was 5-6 with a 5.64 ERA.
Jackson started 2012 with Hickory and was promoted to the High-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans during the season. Between the two teams he was 10-7 with a 4.65 ERA. He started 2013 back with Myrtle Beach. He was promoted to the Double-A Frisco RoughRiders during the season. After the season, he was named the Nolan Ryan Minor League Pitcher of the Year. He started 2014 back with Frisco. He was later promoted to Triple-A Round Rock Express.
In 2015, Jackson started the season with Round Rock. He was called up to the majors for the first time on August 6, 2015. However, he was sent back down to Round Rock on August 11, before he could make an appearance with the Rangers. The Rangers again promoted Jackson to the major leagues on September 1.
On December 8, 2016, the Rangers traded Jackson to the Atlanta Braves in exchange for Tyrell Jenkins and Brady Feigl. Jackson was designated for assignment on December 20, 2017. He had his contract purchased on April 4, 2018. He was later designated for assignment on April 15, 2018. He cleared waivers and was outrighted to the Gwinnett Stripers. He had his contract purchased again on May 6, and was again removed from the roster two days later. On June 5, he was called up once again. Jackson was later designated for assignment again on June 13. He was called up once again on June 17.
- "Texas takes pitcher, slugger in comp round". MLB.com. June 7, 2010. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Calvary Christian's Luke Jackson drafted #45 by Texas Rangers". tribunedigital-sunsentinel. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Luke Jackson to make pro debut Friday". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Pitcher Luke Jackson sees quick rise to ace of Pelicans staff
- "Myrtle Beach Pelicans - Myrtle Beach Pelicans News". Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Rangers distribute annual Minor League awards". MLB.com. January 14, 2014. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- "Luke Jackson impressing scouts, coaches". ESPN.com. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Fox Sports. "Rangers' pitching prospect Jackson hopes to make jump from double-A". FOX Sports. Retrieved September 6, 2015.
- Jackson could be future Express, Rangers starter
- Sullivan, T. R. (August 6, 2015). "Rangers to call up No. 9 prospect Jackson". MLB.com. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- "Rangers' Cole Hamels won't make Thursday start due to sore groin". ESPN.com. Associated Press. August 11, 2015. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Stevenson, Stefan (September 2, 2015). "Rangers closer unfazed by role down the stretch". The Star-Telegram. Retrieved February 27, 2017.
- Texas Rangers: Rangers deal Luke Jackson for pair of pitching prospects, including another rotation candidate | SportsDay
- Macklin, Oliver (December 20, 2017). "Braves acquire OF Tucker; DFA Jackson". MLB.com. Retrieved December 20, 2017.
- Bowman (April 15, 2018). "Finale with Cubs postponed; makeup on May 14". MLB.com. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Todd, Jeff (June 13, 2018). "Braves Designate Luke Jackson". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 13, 2018.