Luitingh-Sijthoff is a publishing company based in the Netherlands that releases fiction and nonfiction books for the Dutch language market. It is a subsidiary of Dutch conglomerate NDC VBK de uitgevers.
|Parent company||NDC VBK de uitgevers|
|Founded||1851 (Sijthoff), 1947 (Luitingh)|
|Founder||Albertus Willem Sijthoff|
|Country of origin||Netherlands|
|Distribution||Dutch language market|
|Imprints||Luitingh, Sijthoff, Poema Pocket, Luitingh Fantasy, Uitgeverij Luitingh, Mouria|
The A.W. Sijthoff company was founded by Albertus Willem Sijthoff in Leiden in 1851 and Luitingh was established in 1947. Sijthoff, who rose to prominence in the trade of translated books, was opposed to a petition for the Netherlands to become a signatory to the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works in 1899 because he felt that the international copyright restrictions would stifle the country's publishing industry. The Sijthoff office was attacked by car bomb after the Haagsche Courant, owned at the time by the Sijthoff family, printed a negative article about business activities in the 1980s by a collection agency owned by Dutch criminal Eef Hoos.
Since its establishment in 1992, the Luitingh Fantasy imprint has become the Netherlands' largest publisher of speculative fiction and fantasy from authors such as Raymond E. Feist, Terry Goodkind, Bernhard Hennen, Robin Hobb, Robert Jordan and George R.R. Martin.
Since 2005, Uitgeverij L (Publishing House L) publishes cartoon collections and graphic novels and by comic book authors such as Christophe Arleston and Martin Lodewijk as well as manga artists such as Osamu Tezuka.
- "Bedrijven: Luitingh Sijthoff" (in Dutch). NDC VBK de uitgevers. Archived from the original on 2008-09-19. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "About Luitingh-Sijthoff". Luitingh-Sijthoff. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "The Netherlands and the Berne Convention". The Publishers' circular and booksellers' record of British and foreign literature, Vol. 71. Sampson Low, Marston & Co. 1899. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "Eef Hoos - Owner of Algarve Pet Crematorium Owner Unmasked". The Sargeant's Inn. 2008-09-20. Retrieved 2010-08-30.[permanent dead link]
- "Luitingh-Sijthoff Contact". Luitingh-Sijthoff. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "Mijn eigen verhaal over haar verdwijning op Aruba (My own story about her disappearance in Aruba)" (in Dutch). Bol.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- Luitingh-Sijthoff (Official site)