The Lucknow College of Arts and Crafts (LCAC), also known as the Government College of Arts and Crafts (GCAC) or simply the College of Arts and Crafts (CAC), was founded in 1911. It is affiliated to University of Lucknow. Sri Ratan Kumar is principal of the college.
|Affiliation||University of Lucknow|
26°51′45″N 80°55′59″E / 26.8626145°N 80.9329208°ECoordinates: 26°51′45″N 80°55′59″E / 26.8626145°N 80.9329208°E
The school was established as the School of Industrial Design on 1 November 1892. Initially located at Wingfield Manzil, it moved to Aminabad and later to Baans Mandi. A purpose-built structure was started in 1909 and inaugurated in 1911. Nathanial Herd was the first principal. The school was renamed as Government College School of Arts and Crafts in 1917.
The Indian school of painting was brought to the curriculum in 1925, and graphic arts courses were introduced in 1963. Former principal Jai Kishan Agarwal received the International Print Biannale Florence Italy award in 1974. In 1975 the college merged with the University of Lucknow as a constituent college and its three National diploma courses were converted into degree courses.
The college has following departments:
- Department of Fine Art,
- Department of Commercial Art,
- Department of Sculpture
- Department of Art Master’s Training
- Bachelor of Visual Art: Painting, Applied Art, or Sculpture
- BFA in Textile Design
- BFA in Indian Traditional Sculpture
- Master in Visual Art (Painting) with specialisation in creative, portrait, landscape painting, printmaking, ceramics and mural.
- Master in Visual Art (Applied Art) with specialisation in visualisation, photography and illustration.
- Master in Visual Art (Sculpture) with specialisation in terracota/ceramic, portrait and life, bronze casting, stone carving.
- Diploma in Art Masters Training
- Diploma in Home Art and Home Craft
- Diploma in Furniture Design and Interior Decoration
- Diploma in Iron and Heavy Metal Work
- Diploma in Wood Work
Museum of College of Arts And CraftsEdit
The College is home to an arts and crafts museum, founded in 1911.
- Juhi Chaturvedi
- Surendra Pal Joshi, artist known for paintings, sculptures and murals
- Sukumar Bose
- Lalit Mohan Sen
- Hashim Akhtar Naqvi
- ^ Faculty of Fine Arts Archived 26 November 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ ..graphic arts is being taught..[dead link] Indian Express, 18 January 2006.
- ^ College of Arts and Crafts (CAC).. Archived 26 February 2006 at the Wayback Machine Indian Express, 19 February 2006.
- ^ Worldwide Museums Directory: Museums - India Archived 4 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "Museum of College of Arts And Crafts". Archived from the original on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 23 July 2009.
- ^ "Juhi Chaturvedi joins Leo Burnett Mumbai as ECD". Media Info. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- College of Arts and Crafts at University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- Centenary Twins: Arts College, Lucknow Designing Future, EXPRESS FEATURES SERVICE, Posted: Fri 6 August 2010, 02:54 hrs