This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2020)
|Admin. division||Luang Namtha Province|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (ICT)|
From January through May 1962, troops from the Royal Lao Army (RLA) fought the Pathet Lao and People's Army of Vietnam in the Battle of Luang Namtha. The battle ended with the RLA's headlong retreat southward 150 kilometers across the Mekong River.
In the rainy season, Luang Namtha can be reached by boat from the Mekong River. It is connected by Highway 3 to both the Thai border at Houayxay-Chiang Khong (197 km (122 mi)) and the Chinese border at Boten-Mengla County (60 km (37 mi)). Luang Namtha is also served by Louang Namtha Airport, 6 km (3.7 mi) south of the city.
- Media related to Luang Namtha at Wikimedia Commons
- Luang Namtha travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Biodiversity Profile for Luang Namtha Province, 2003(subscription required)
- Ethnic diversity in Luang Namtha - Laos
- Facebook photo gallery(subscription required)