This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Lowy Institute is an independent think tank founded in April 2003 by Frank Lowy to conduct original, policy-relevant research about international political, strategic and economic issues from an Australian perspective. It is based in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Its research and analysis aim to be non-partisan, and its active program of conferences, seminars and other events are designed to inform and deepen the debate about international policy in Australia and to help shape the broader international discussion of these issues.
|Type||Foreign policy think tank|
- East Asia
- International Security
- Pacific Islands
- West Asia
- International Economy
- Diplomacy and Public Opinion
The Institute's website offers publications for free download. In 2006 the regular talks began to be recorded and made available on the website.
The Lowy Institute launched a blog 'The Interpreter' in November 2007. According to former Executive Director Allan Gyngell: "it aims to provide you with fresh insights into international events and a new way to engage with the Institute." Lowy Institute also developed analytical tool Asia Power Index. This tool allows changes in the global distribution of power. Contries can be compared on the basis of which measures eight types of power: military capability, defense networks, economic resources, economic relationships, diplomatic influence, cultural influence, resilience and future resources.
Board of DirectorsEdit
The institute's board comprises Australian policy makers and business people.
- Frank Lowy AC – Lowy Institute founder and chairman; co-founder, Westfield Group
- David Gonski AC - Chairman of Australian and New Zealand Banking Group and Coca-Cola Amatil Limited
- Joanna Hewitt AO
- Sir Angus Houston AK, AC, AFC
- Martin Indyk – Diplomat; former United States ambassador to Israel
- David Lowy AM
- Peter Lowy – Group managing director of the Westfield Group
- Steven Lowy AM – Group managing director of the Westfield Group
- Ian Macfarlane – Former Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
- Mark Ryan – Company director
- The Hon James Spigelman AC
- The Hon Penny Wensley AC
- Michael Fullilove, Executive Director
- Michael Wesley, Executive Director (2009-2012)
The annual Lowy Poll surveys a nationally representative sample of the adult Australian population on foreign policy issues and is the Lowy Institute's flagship publication. It is wholly funded by the Lowy Institute and its results are widely cited in the Australian and international media. The Lowy Institute has also conducted opinion polling in Indonesia, New Zealand and China. The first Lowy Poll was in 2005.
The format of the 2011 Lowy Institute Poll was considered inadequate for formulating Australian policy compared to studies undertaken by CSIRO, Ipsos-Eureka, Cardiff University, Stanford University, and Yale University. Complex questions by telephone were considered difficult in not allowing respondents to think about answers, and the use of double barrelled questions was criticised.
- "Lowy Institute". Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- Lowy Institute (2014). . Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- "The 2011 Lowy Institute Poll".
- "Polls, framings and public understandings: climate change and opinion polls".