Lower Dir District
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lower Dir District (Pashto: لر / کوز دير ولسوالۍ, Urdu: ضِلع دیرِ زیریں) is a district in Malakand Division of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province in Pakistan. Timergara city is the district headquarters and largest city, while the second largest city is Chakdara.
Lower Dir District
ضلع دیرِ زیریں
|• District||1,582 km2 (611 sq mi)|
|• Density||910/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|Main language||Pashto (99.4):27|
At the time of independence, Dir was a princely state ruled by Nawab Shah Jehan Khan. It was merged in Pakistan in 1969 and later on declared a district in 1970. The district was formed in 1996, when the district of Dir was divided into Upper Dir and Lower Dir. The District borders with Swat District on its East, Afghanistan on its West, Upper Dir and Chitral on its North & north-west respectively and Malakand and Bajaur Agency on its South.
The district is administratively subdivided into seven tehsils, Adenzai, Timergara, Balambat, Khall, Munda, Samar Bagh and Lal Qila Maidan, which contain a total of 41 Union Councils. In Lower Dir, there are 7 tehsils:
Asbanr, Badwan, Chakdara, Khadagzai,Tazagram, Khanpur, Kotigram, Ouch
Balambat, Hayaserai, Lajbook, Munjai, Koto, Rabat
Khall-I, Khall-II, Toormang-I, Toormang-II, Sultankhel (Payeen Dara)
Bishgram, Lal Qilla, Gall Maidan, Kotkai (Maidan), Zaimdara,
Khazana, Mia Kalai, Munda,
Darangai, Kambat, Mayar, Maskini, Sadbar Kali, Samar Bagh
Bagh Dush Khel,Saddo, Bandagai, Khungai, Malak Abad Ghara, Noora Khel, Shahi Khel Ziarat Talash, Timergara (Urban)
|Member of National Assembly||Party Affiliation||Year|
|Qazi Hussain Ahmad||Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal||2002|
|Maulana Ahmad Ghafoor Ghawas||Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal||2003|
|Malak Azmat Khan||Pakistan Peoples Party||2008|
|Shahib Zada Muhammad Yaqub||Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan||2013|
Qazi Hussain Ahmad won the general elections in 2002 but he left the seat as he had also won from his native constituency. Therefore, in January 2003 bye-elections were held.
The district is represented by four elected MPAs in the provincial assembly who represent the following constituencies, after shifting of three union council from the Upper Dir to Lower Dir the provincial constituency of upper Dir, PF-93 now consists of UCs Khall, Toor Mang and Akha Gram of Lower Dir :
- PK-13 (Lower Dir-I)
- PK-14 (Lower Dir-II)
- PK-15 (Lower Dir-III)
- PK-16 (Lower Dir-IV)
- PK-17 (Lower Dir-V)
- Syed Mehbob Shah (Current MNA PTI)
- "DISTRICT AND TEHSIL LEVEL POPULATION SUMMARY WITH REGION BREAKUP: KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA" (PDF). Pakistan Bureau of Statistics. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-04-23.
- 1998 District Census report of Lower Dir. Census publication. 31. Islamabad: Population Census Organization, Statistics Division, Government of Pakistan. 1999.
- "Tehsils & Unions in the District of Lower Dir – Government of Pakistan". nrb.gov.pk.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-10. Retrieved 2015-11-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Constituencies and MPAs – Website of the Provincial Assembly of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Archived 2008-04-28 at the Wayback Machine