Loving Pablo, internationally known as Escobar, is a 2017 English-language Spanish drama film directed by Fernando León de Aranoa, based on Virginia Vallejo's memoir Loving Pablo, Hating Escobar. It was screened out of competition in the 74th Venice International Film Festival and in the Special Presentations section at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival.
|Directed by||Fernando León de Aranoa|
|Written by||Fernando León de Aranoa|
|Based on||Loving Pablo, Hating Escobar|
by Virginia Vallejo
|Music by||Federico Jusid|
|Edited by||Nacho Ruiz Capillas|
|Box office||$14.8 million|
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 30% based on 46 reviews, with a weighted average rating of 4.7/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Loving Pablo bungles its seemingly cinematic real-life story -- and a pair of talented stars -- in producing a lurid biopic that adds nothing to the Escobar subgenre." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 41 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
In a mixed review, Stanley Widianto, writing for The Jakarta Post, calls the film "a rinse-and-repeat of the tales of the late notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar" that relies on its thriller components. Widianto notes that the film suffers from scattered storytelling and barely succeeds at adding complexity to the story of Escobar.
- "Book: Loving Pablo, Hating Escobar". Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- "Loving Pablo (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- McNary, Dave (13 May 2015). "Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz Starring in Pablo Escobar Movie". Variety. Cannes. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Zsalai, Georg (28 July 2017). "San Sebastian Unveils First Competition Titles, Will Screen Pablo Escobar Film With Javier Bardem". The Hollywood Reporter. San Sebastian. Retrieved 23 August 2017.
- Pond, Steve (15 August 2017). "Aaron Sorkin, Brie Larson, Louis CK Movies Added to Toronto Film Festival Lineup". The Wrap. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Loving Pablo (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Loving Pablo Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- Widianto, Stanley (29 June 2018). "Loving Pablo: Another recapitulation of the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar". The Jakarta Post. The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 4 July 2018.