"Lovely Head" is an electronic song performed by British group Goldfrapp. The song was written and produced by Alison Goldfrapp and Will Gregory for the duo's debut album Felt Mountain (2000). It was released as the album's first single in May 2000 but did not chart. In November 2001, the song was re-issued as a double A-side single with "Pilots (On a Star)" and reached number sixty-eight on the UK singles chart.
|Single by Goldfrapp|
|from the album Felt Mountain|
|Released||May 15, 2000|
|Goldfrapp singles chronology|
In 2002, "Lovely Head" appeared in the Guy Ritchie film Swept Away. It appeared in Jan Kounen's 99 francs (2007), as well as in Pawel Pawlikowski's My Summer of Love (2004). During 2001 the song was used in a TV and cinema advertising campaign for UK mobile phone company One2One, which featured Gary Oldman.
Background and writingEdit
Goldfrapp began work on "Lovely Head" in September 1999 in a rented bungalow in the Wiltshire countryside. Alison Goldfrapp contributed the song's lyrics, and William Gregory and Goldfrapp composed the music together. The duo recorded the song outside their bungalow, drawing inspiration from nature. The song was originally titled "Your Lovely Head". "Lovely Head" features high lonesome whistling and cold vocals set to harpsichord and strings.
What is often mistaken for a theremin synth in the song is, in fact, Alison's vocals manipulated through a Korg MS-20 synthesiser. It was inspired by Welsh singer Shirley Bassey and Italian film director Sergio Leone.
Formats and track listingsEdit
Credits and personnelEdit
- "Chart Stats: Goldfrapp" . OfficialCharts.com. Retrieved 1 January 2009.
- "Soundtracks for Swept Away". IMDB.com. Retrieved November 10, 2007.
- Simpson, Dave. "The Friday Interview: 'The Mercury prize? Oh God, that would be great. I deserve something'". The Guardian. 4 May 2001. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- Flinn, Sean. "Scaling Felt Mountain" Archived 2009-02-05 at the Wayback Machine. Choler Magazine. 25 January 2002. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "Goldfrapp > Full Discography > Lovely Head". Mute Records. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "Lovely Head" (UK promotional CD single #247). Mute Records. 29 May 2000.
- Reno, Brad. "Goldfrapp". Trouser Press. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- Goldfrapp Felt Mountain (2000) liner notes Mute Records