Los Angeles College of Music(Redirected from Los Angeles Music Academy College of Music)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Los Angeles College of Music (abbreviated LACM, formerly named LAMA College for Music Professionals) is a for-profit music school in Pasadena, in Los Angeles County, California. It has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music since 2003.
|Location||Pasadena, California, United States|
The school was co-founded in 1996 as LA Music Academy by Tom Aylesbury who also became President in 2004. Original department Chairs included Frank Gambale (guitar), Dave Carpenter (bass) and co-chairs Joe Porcaro and Ralph Humphrey (drums). The vocal department was established by Kevyn Lettau in 1998. Tierney Sutton took over as Chair in 2008. The school changed its name in November 2012 to LAMA College for Music Professionals, and in 2014 to Los Angeles College of Music.
The school has been accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music since 2003. It offers six-quarter Associate of Arts degrees and Bachelor's degrees in music performance (drums, guitar, bass or voice) and in music production, music composition and music industry. The associate degrees are classed as "professional" and are not transferable to other colleges or universities.
The school runs one-week summer music courses for children aged 10 or over, with workshops, lessons, clinics and concerts. In partnership with DrumChannel and Guitar Center, it also runs an intensive five-day course for drummers, with clinics, music workshops, instruction, autograph sessions, a musicians' roundtable and a visit to Drum Workshop in Oxnard, CA. Instructors have included Alex Acuña, Peter Erskine, JR Robinson, Terry Bozzio, Efrain Toro and Joe Porcaro.
Past faculty members at the school include these: Frank Gambale, Jean Marc Belkadi, Gary Hoey and Jerry Donahue, guitar; Sherman Ferguson, John Robinson and Emil Richards, Italo Lamboglia, drums; Dave Carpenter, Alphonso Johnson, Guy Erez and Bunny Brunel, bass; and Kevyn Lettau, Debi Nova and Tim "Ripper" Owens, vocal.[third-party source needed]
Master class instructors have included these: Peter Bernstein, Dean Brown and Mike Stern, guitar; and Kristin Korb, Janek Gwizdala and Alain Caron, bass. Artists in residence at the school have included Abe Laboriel, bass, and Airto Moreira, drums.[third-party source needed] Many notable musicians have performed clinics at the school.
- [s.n.] (July 23, 2009).LA Music Academy To Offer Associates Degrees in Music Performance. Mix Magazine. Archived June 4, 2011.
- Accredited Institutions Search: Los Angeles College of Music. National Association of Schools of Music. Archived September 7, 2016.
- Mills, Michelle (November 3, 2007). "Hitting All The Right Notes". Pasadena Star News. Retrieved November 3, 2007.[dead link]
- "LA Music Academy Scholarship Opportunities". Vintage Guitar Magazine. Vintage Guitar, Inc. March 27, 2007. p. 1. Retrieved July 29, 2009.[dead link]
- "Tom Aylesbury". Los Angeles College of Music. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Appice, Carmine (2010). Drums for Everyone: A Step-by-Step Guide to Equipment, Beats, and Basics. Guilford, CT: Knack. ISBN 9781599217772.
- Kelman, John (June 2, 2009). "L.A. Music Academy Summer Music Camp Kicks Off June 22". All About Jazz Magazine. All About Jazz Magazine. Archived from the original on October 22, 2012. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Liffengren, Jordan (June 11, 2010). "Drummer's Reality Camp: A Summertime Intensive". Drum! Magazine. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Faculty and Guest Clinicians". Los Angeles College of Music. Retrieved May 15, 2014.