Los Angeles County High School for the Arts
Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA, //) is a Visual and Performing Arts high school located on the campus of California State University, Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California, United States.
|Los Angeles County High School for the Arts|
|5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, California
|School district||Los Angeles County Office of Education|
LACHSA is a public and tuition-free school. Most people identify the school by its aesthetic campus along with its ability to "offer both college preparatory courses and conservatory style training". Though it shares facilities with Cal State LA, the two schools' activities are usually separate. It is operated by the Los Angeles County Office of Education. LACHSA maintains a unique affiliation with International Polytechnic High School, which is also run by LACOE.
The school specializes in the training of music, theatre, dance, visual arts, and film. It is one of two arts high schools in Los Angeles that allows students from any district within Los Angeles County to attend, the other being Charter High School of the Arts in Van Nuys. Acceptance into the school is based on an audition process for the approximately 130 spots available for incoming students, about 90% of whom are freshman. In 2011 more than 1000 students auditioned, the highest number ever. The school has five departments, Dance, Music (Vocals and Instrumental), Theatre, Visual Arts, and Cinematic Arts (Film). There is also a double major offered for Musical Theatre. The Music Department has the most students, followed by the Theatre Department, Visual Arts, Dance, and Cinematic Arts. In 2012, Academy Award nominee Scott Hamilton Kennedy made an award-winning documentary about LACHSA called "Fame High."
In late March 2013, LACHSA officially moved to its brand new building on the edge of California State University's campus. It has three stories, the top being a full black box where most performances from the school take place.
- California Distinguished School for Academic Excellence
- Golden Bell Award
- Grammy Signature School
- Bravo Award for excellence in arts education
- One of the "Best High Schools" in Los Angeles by Los Angeles Magazine
- LACHSA was among the few public high schools in California to receive a distinguished GreatSchools Rating of 7 out of 10.
- Ai, singer
- Amanda Avila, back up singer 
- Anthony Anderson, Emmy nominated actor  for his role as Dre Johnson on ABC's Black-ish
- Jon B., singer and songwriter
- Ethan Bearman, Assistant Principal and Bud and Barbara Hellman Chair of the Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Corbin Bleu, actor
- Phoebe Bridgers, singer, songwriter
- Monica Calhoun, actress
- Gerald Clayton, Grammy nominated jazz pianist and composer
- Clea DuVall, actress
- Jenna Elfman, actor
- Michael Fitzpatrick, the lead vocalist and principal songwriter of Fitz and The Tantrums
- Dillon Francis, music producer
- Drew Garrett, actor
- Spencer Grammer, actress (Greek)
- Josh Groban, singer
- Este Haim, Danielle Haim, and Alana Haim of Haim
- Taran Killam, actor (Saturday Night Live)
- Josefina Lopez, playwright
- Christina Milian, pop singer
- Ryan Scott Oliver, musical theatre composer and lyricist
- Candy Olsen, dancer and actress
- Gretchen Parlato, Grammy nominated jazz vocalist and composer
- Matthew Rushing, dancer, Rehearsal Director at Alvin Ailey Dance Theater
- Marla Sokoloff, actress and musician
- Tammy Townsend, actress and singer
- McKenzie Westmore, actress on Passions and host of Syfy Network's Face Off
- Kehinde Wiley, painter
- Angel Blue, opera singer
- Sadie Calvano, actress on the CBS series, Mom
- Finn Wittrock, actor on American Horror Story: Freak Show
- Zoey Deutch, actress
- Mary Rourke, Caroline Leonetti Ahmanson, 83; Philanthropist Supported the Arts, The Los Angeles Times, July 23, 2005
- 42nd Street in Memory of Caroline Leonetti Ahmanson, January 2006 Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine., ArtsHighFoudation: Proudly supporting lachsa since 1985, January 17, 2006
- "LACOE Home Version 6.0". Lacoe.edu. 2012-08-29. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Los Angeles County High School for the Arts - eNotes.com Reference". Enotes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Fame High".
- "L.A. County High School for the Arts - Los Angeles, California - CA - School overview". Greatschools.org. 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- ""A.I." Official Facebook". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Culture Monster". The Los Angeles Times. April 6, 2010.
- http://www.centertheatregroup.org/land/LACHSA.htm. Retrieved April 14, 2010. Missing or empty
- Drew Garrett AFTRA
- Gurewitsch, Matthew (July 28, 2002). "MUSIC; The New Boy Wonder of the Voice". The New York Times.
- HAIM Sisters On Rihanna And Their Debut Studio Album. The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-09-15.
- "Gretchen Parlato Interview with Joe Montague of Riveting Riffs Magazine". Rivetingriffs.com. Retrieved 2012-09-15.