Lorenzo Malik Mauldin IV (born October 1, 1992) is a professional gridiron football defensive end for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He was drafted by the New York Jets in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. He played college football at Louisville.
Mauldin before a Tiger-Cats game in 2019.
|No. 94 – Hamilton Tiger-Cats|
|Born:||October 1, 1992|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||259 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Maynard H. Jackson|
|NFL Draft:||2015 / Round: 3 / Pick: 82|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Player stats at CFL.ca|
Mauldin was born in Sacramento, California on October 1, 1992. He spent most of his childhood with 16 different foster parents as both of his parents were in jail. Mauldin attended Maynard H. Jackson High School in Atlanta, Georgia, where he played football and basketball and competed in track. In high school football, Mauldin was named to Class AA All-State Team. In track & field, Mauldin competed in events ranging from the high jump to the discus throw. At the 2010 Whitefield Meet, he took fourth in the discus throw (114 ft 4 in) and second in the shot put (44 ft 7 in).
Regarded as a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, Mauldin was rated as the 82nd-best player in Georgia. He was rated as the 67th-best defensive end by ESPN.com, and the 133rd-best defensive end by Scout.com. He chose Louisville over Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, South Alabama, Troy and South Carolina, where he originally committed.
As a true freshman at the University of Louisville in 2011, Mauldin played in all 12 of the Cardinals games and recorded six tackles. As a sophomore in 2012, Mauldin started six of 11 games, recording 22 tackles and a team-leading 4.5 sacks. In August 2013, prior to his junior season, Mauldin was involved in a hit and run moped accident. He recovered and started all 13 games that season. He finished the year with 40 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Prior to his senior season in 2014, Mauldin was moved from defensive end to linebacker.
Mauldin played his first regular season game on September 13, 2015 against the Cleveland Browns, where he forced a fumble off Johnny Manziel. However, after forcing the fumble, he suffered an apparent neck injury, was rendered unconscious for a few minutes, carted off the field, and taken to a local hospital. After undergoing tests, he was diagnosed with only a concussion and luckily, no serious neck injury. During his rookie season in 2015, Mauldin played 15 games making 10 tackles, 4 sacks, and a fumble recovery.
On September 4, 2017, Mauldin was placed on injured reserve after dealing with a back injury throughout training camp.
On September 1, 2018, Mauldin was released by the Jets.
On June 11, 2017, it was revealed that Mauldin attacked another customer at a Manhattan nightclub two months prior to the announcement. The battle started when the customer spilled champagne on Mauldin, triggering his attack. The victim was punched twice, left with a black eye, and hospitalized. On June 21, 2017, Mauldin turned himself in to police, and was charged with misdemeanor assault.
- "Dean's List, Summer 2014". louisville.edu.
- Nunez, Tammy (December 29, 2012). "Lorenzo Mauldin overcomes disjointed youth to star for Louisville". nola.com.
- "Lorenzo Mauldin carves his own path". ESPN.com. September 4, 2012.
- "FLASHBACK: Lorenzo Mauldin finds new family in U of L Cardinals". WDRB.
- "Whitefield Varsity meet #1 – 3–22–11 Complete Results (Raw)". MileSplit GA.
- "Rivals.com". n.rivals.com.
- "HuffPost – Breaking News, U.S. and World News". www.huffpost.com.
- "Louisville player hospitalized after driver crashes into his moped". USA TODAY.
- "Lorenzo Mauldin of Louisville making move to linebacker". NFL.com.
- Lange, Randy (May 1, 2015). "Jets 3rd-Rounder: Louisville LB Lorenzo Mauldin". New York Jets. Archived from the original on May 9, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Slater Darryl (May 7, 2015). "Jets sign third-round draft pick Lorenzo Mauldin". NJ.com. Archived from the original on May 9, 2015. Retrieved May 9, 2015.
- Ducey, Kenny. "Jets rookie LB Lorenzo Mauldin taken to hospital after apparent neck injury". si.com. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- Chiappelli, Kristie. "Jets rookie Lorenzo Mauldin hospitalized with concussion". sportingnews.com. Sporting News. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- "Lorenzo Mauldin career stats". pro-football-reference.com. Pro-Football Reference. Retrieved January 9, 2016.
- Greenberg, Ethan (September 4, 2017). "Jets Sign Carter, Place Mauldin on IR". NewYorkJets.com.
- Lange, Randy (September 1, 2018). "Final Cutdown: Jets Reach 53-Player Active Roster". NewYorkJets.com.
- "Lorenzo Mauldin accused of leaving man with multiple facial fractures in nightclub 'attack'". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved June 11, 2017.
- "Reports: Jets LB Lorenzo Mauldin Charged With Assault After Turning Himself In To Police". CBS New York. Retrieved June 21, 2017.