List of mayors and lord mayors of Newcastle
This is a list of mayors and lord mayors of Newcastle and its predecessors, a local government area of New South Wales, Australia. The official title of Lord Mayors while holding office is: The Right Worshipful Lord Mayor of Newcastle. First incorporated on 7 June 1859 as the "Municipality of Newcastle", the council became known as "The Borough of Newcastle" on 23 December 1867 following the enactment of The Municipalities Act of 1867, and on 1 April 1938 the "City of Greater Newcastle" was proclaimed. In recognition of Newcastle's role as NSW's second oldest and largest city, the council applied to have the title "Lord Mayor", which was granted in October 1947 by King George VI and applied in October 1948. This made Newcastle the first Australian city that was not a capital to receive such an honour. On 1 April 1949 the official title of the council became the "City of Newcastle".
|Lord Mayor of Newcastle|
|Style||The Right Worshipful Lord Mayor|
|Appointer||Newcastle City Council|
|Term length||One year (1859–1977)|
Four years (1978–date)
|Inaugural holder||Ald. James Hannell|
Ald. Harry Quinlan
|Formation||7 June 1859 (as Mayor)|
October 1948 (as Lord Mayor)
The current Lord Mayor of Newcastle is Nuatali Nelmes (Labor), who was elected in a by-election on 15 November 2014. The previous Lord Mayor, Councillor Jeff McCloy (Independent), elected in 2012, resigned on 17 August 2014.
List of incumbentsEdit
|1863–1864||R. D. Bishop|
|1870||W. A. Spark|
|1874–1875||E. A. White|
|1885||C. W. Morgan|
|1887||George William Webb|
|1891||William Thomas Gibb|
|1893||Augustus Frederick Moore|
|1901||W. J. Ellis|
|1909–1910||John Christian Reid|
|1911–1913||Hugh McLachlan Shedden|
|1914||John Christian Reid|
|1915||Robert George Kilgour|
|1918–1919||Robert George Kilgour|
|1921||Robert George Kilgour|
|1924||Robert George Kilgour|
|1929||Harry Lambert Wheeler|
|1933||William McGregor Shedden|
|1934||Robert George Kilgour|
|1943||Ernest Dunkley (Ind)|
|1944 – December 1946||R. Norris|
|December 1946 – October 1948||Harry Quinlan|
|October 1948 – December 1950||Harry Quinlan|
|December 1950 – December 1951||Frank Purdue (Citizens Group)|
|December 1951 – December 1952||Tom Armstrong (Ind)|
|December 1952 – December 1955||Frank Purdue (Citizens Group)|
|December 1955 – December 1956||Douglas McDougall (Citizens Group)|
|December 1956 – December 1957||Charles Jones (ALP)|
|December 1957 – December 1958||Douglas McDougall (Citizens Group)|
|December 1958 – December 1959||Ernest Dunkley (Ind)|
|December 1959 – December 1965||Frank Purdue (Citizens Group)|
|December 1965 – September 1973||Douglas McDougall (Citizens Group)|
|September 1973 – September 1974||Gordon Anderson (Ind)|
|September 1974 – September 1976||Joy Cummings (ALP)|
|September 1976 – September 1977||Gordon Anderson (Ind)|
|September 1977 – 16 April 1984||Joy Cummings (ALP)|
|16 April 1984 – 2 October 1984||Don Geddes (Acting; Citizens Group)|
|2 October 1984 – 1986||Colin Saunders (Administrator)|
|1986 – September 1995||John McNaughton (ALP)|
|September 1995 – September 1999||Greg Heys (ALP)|
|September 1999 – 8 September 2012||John Tate (Ind)|
|8 September 2012 – 17 August 2014||Jeff McCloy (Ind)|
|17 August 2014 - 15 November 2014||Brad Luke (Acting; Liberal Party)|
|15 November 2014 – Present||Nuatali Nelmes (ALP)|
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Newcastle Has Its First Lord Mayor". Singleton Argus (NSW: 1880-1954). NSW: National Library of Australia. 6 October 1947. p. 1. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- DiGravio, Gionni (30 September 2009). "Sesquicentenary of Local Government in Newcastle". Archives Outside. NSW State Archives. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Mayors, Lord Mayors, Town Clerks & General Managers 1859 - 2009" (PDF). 150 Years - Local Democracy in Newcastle 1859 - 2009. Newcastle City Council. 2009. p. 22. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- First Mayor of Newcastle Borough Council.
- First Mayor of Greater Newcastle Council.
- "Newcastle council dismissed". The Canberra Times. 59 (17, 902). Australian Capital Territory, Australia. 3 October 1984. p. 1. Retrieved 23 October 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT, 1919.—PROCLAMATION". Government Gazette Of The State Of New South Wales (141). New South Wales, Australia. 2 October 1984. p. 4909. Retrieved 23 October 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- GORDON, JASON (14 October 2014). "Luke's independent tilt for mayor". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 9 April 2018.
- The City of Newcastle (Council website)