The transaction is illegal and commonly found in low-income areas . The high cost of cigarettes due to increased taxation has been blamed for increased sales of loosies.  The practice has also been associated with increased gang violence.
- Christopher Mathias (2011-04-06). "I Love 'Loosies': In Defense of Black Market Cigarettes". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- Goldstein, Joseph (4 April 2011). "On Manhattan Streets, Loosie Men Sell Illegal Smokes". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- "Proposed $2 cigarette tax sparks fear of sale of "loosies"". Oakland North. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- "'Loosies' Cigarette Sales Could Spark Gang Conflict, Alderman Says". DNAinfo Chicago. Retrieved 2017-10-30.
- Solange Uwimana (2014-10-23). "How Illegal Cigarettes Get Smuggled and Sold in New York City". Vice. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
|This article about retailing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|