Long Live the King (EP)
Long Live the King is an EP by the American indie rock band The Decemberists, released on November 1, 2011, on Capitol. The release is composed of out-takes from their sixth studio album, The King Is Dead. The titles of both combine to create the traditional proclamation, "The king is dead, long live the king!"
|Long Live the King|
|Released||November 1, 2011|
|Studio||Pendarvis Farm near Portland, Oregon|
|Genre||Indie folk, folk rock|
|Producer||Tucker Martine and The Decembrists|
|The Decemberists chronology|
|The Decemberists EPs chronology|
|The A.V. Club||A−|
Critical reception to Long Live the King was positive. On Metacritic, which assigns a rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, Long Live the King received an average score of 66, based on 15 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews".
All songs written by Colin Meloy, unless otherwise stated.
- The Decemberists
- Jenny Conlee – piano, organ, backing vocals, production
- Chris Funk – pedal steel, electric guitar, production
- Colin Meloy – vocals, drum programming, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, rhythm guitar, tambourine, production
- John Moen – drums, tambourine, backing vocals, production
- Nate Query – bass guitar, upright bass, production
- Additional musicians
- Victor Nash – trumpet on "Sonnet"
- Adam Schneider – trombone on "Sonnet"
- Annalisa Tornfelt – backing vocals on "E. Watson"
- Laura Veirs – backing vocals on "E. Watson"
- "Long Live the King [EP] Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Monger, James. "Long Live the King - The Decemberists". Allmusic. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Hyden, Steven. "The Decemberists: Long Live The King". The A.V. Club. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Maddux, Rachael. "The Decemberists: Long Live the King EP". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved February 4, 2012.