London Buses route 45
|Vehicle||Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMC|
|Peak vehicle requirement||21 (November 2017)|
|Began service||1 October 1950|
|Former operator(s)||London Central|
|End||Elephant & Castle|
Route 45 was introduced on 1 October 1950 as a replacement for trolleybus route 34 between Battersea and Farringdon Street via Clapham Junction, Clapham Common, Stockwell, Brixton, Camberwell Green, Elephant & Castle and Blackfriars Bridge. It was operated by AEC Routemasters. On 17 January 1951 it was extended from Battersea to South Kensington station. On 1 February 1961, the route was extended from Farringdon Street to Hampstead Heath via Grays Inn Road and King's Cross replacing trolleybus route 513. On 8 January 1972, it was withdrawn between King's Cross and Hampstead and replaced by route 46. On 28 October 1978, the route was extended from King's Cross to Archway station.
Having been operated by London Central out of Camberwell garage since first tendered in 1987, on 11 November 2017 it was taken over by Abellio London's Walworth garage with Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMCs introduced. On 15 June 2019, the route was withdrawn between King's Cross and Elephant & Castle.
Route 45 operates via these primary locations:
- Taylor, Hugh (1994). London Trolleybus Routes. Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 9781854141552.
- Blacker, Ken (1995). Routemaster Volume One 1954–1969. Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 978-185414-178-1.
- Warren, Kenneth (1986). The Motorbus in Central London. Shepperton: Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 0 7110 1568 6.
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster Volume Two 1970–2005. Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 978-185414-303-7.
- Stagecoach loses out to Go-Ahead Buses issue 746 May 2017 page 22
- London tender round reveals new wage of hybrids Coach & Bus Week issue 1282 14 March 2017 page 8
- Tender News Bus Talk issue 45 April 2017 page 10
- New TfL contract for route 45 Abellio London 14 November 2017
- Permanent Bus Changes 12 April 2019 to 30 June 2019 Transport for London
- Route 45 Map Transport for London
- Media related to London Buses route 45 at Wikimedia Commons