London Buses route 42
|End||Liverpool Street bus station|
Route 42 commenced operation on 25 July 1912 as a daily route between Finsbury Park station and Clapton Pond via Seven Sisters Road, Amhurst Park and Upper Clapton Road. On 26 August 1912, it was extended from Clapton to Tower of London via Hackney, Whitechapel Road, Aldgate and Minories. From 14 April 1913 it was extended on Mondays to Saturdays from Tower of London to Camberwell Green via Tower Bridge, Old Kent Road and Albany Road.
The route was reduced from a daily allocation of eight vehicles at the beginning of 1970 to only three by 1985, when the evening service was also withdrawn. Upon being tendered, in 1987 the route passed to London Country South East.
Route 42 was included in the sale of Limebourne Buses to Connex in July 2001. Upon being re-tendered, it passed to London Easylink on 20 April 2002. However, on 21 August 2002, London Easylink went into liquidation.
Route 42 was taken over by Transport for London subsidiary East Thames Buses. On 3 October 2009, East Thames Buses was sold to London General, which included a five-year contract to operate route 42.
On 1 October 2016, the route was extended from Denmark Hill Sunray Avenue to East Dulwich Sainsburys via Dulwich Hospital with double-decker buses introduced. On the same date, the route was temporarily withdrawn between Tower Bridge Road and Liverpool Street bus station until 23 December 2016 while Tower Bridge was closed for refurbishment.
Route 42 operates via these primary locations:
- David A. Ruddom, Motor omnibus routes in London: November 1908 to December 1912, 2
- McLachlan, Tom (1995). London Buses 1985-1995: Managing The Change. Venture Publications. pp. 98–99. ISBN 1-898432-74-0.
- Buses recalled as firm goes into bankruptcy BBC News 21 August 2002
- Go-Ahead Acquires East Thames Buses Go-Ahead Group 30 July 2009 Archived 22 July 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Go-Ahead buys East Thames Buses Bus & Coach Professional 3 August 2009 Archived 24 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- East Thames Buses Archived 24 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine Go-Ahead London
- Have your say on our proposal for an extension to bus route 42 Transport for London 15 July 2016
- Bus Services Changes 19 August to 8 October inclusive Transport for London
- Tower Bridge Closure Archived 11 October 2016 at the Wayback Machine Transport for London
- Route 42 Map Transport for London