Lokomotiv (sports society)
Lokomotiv (Russian: Локомотив; English: Locomotive) or Lokomotiv Voluntary Sports Society (VSS) is the Russian sports club and a member of the International Railway Sports Association. Before the collapse of the Soviet Union, VSS Lokomotiv consisted of many clubs in a variety of sports which were all named "Lokomotiv" with an addition of the town/city name from which the club was from (f.e. Lokomotiv Moscow). In the Eastern Bloc countries many teams associated with the railway industry (but not part of VSS Lokomotiv) were also named or renamed "Lokomotiv".
Sport clubs of the Lokomotiv societyEdit
- Vera Krepkina (athletics)
- Nikolay Sokolov (athletics)
- Boris Spassky (chess)
- Radia Yeroshina (cross-country skiing)
- Viatcheslav Ekimov (cycling)
- Ludmila Belousova (figure skating)
- Oleg Protopopov (figure skating)
- Lidia Skoblikova (speed skating)
- Vladimir Bure (swimming)
- Yurik Vardanyan (weightlifting)
- Members. International Railway Sports Associations website
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia (in Russian) (3rd ed.). Moscow: Sovetskaya Enciklopediya. 1973. vol. 14, p. 620.