The Lockheed Fire was a wildfire in the Santa Cruz Mountains in the Swanton and Bonny Doon areas of Santa Cruz County, California. The fire was started on August 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM PDT.
|Location||Bonny Doon Ecological Reserve, Santa Cruz, California|
|Date(s)||August 12, 2009– August 23, 2009|
|Burned area||7,817 acres (3,163 ha)|
A Red Cross shelter was established at Vintage Faith Church in Santa Cruz for families who were evacuated from the area. An animal evacuation center was also established at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds.
Many resources were demanded for this fire. The steep terrain and lack of road access in the area made it difficult to fight the blaze.
The cause of the fire was determined to be an out of control or unattended camp fire.
- ^ "Lockheed Fire". CAL FIRE. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- ^ "Lockheed Fire - Santa Cruz Wildfire Incident Report - 0% Containment". Imperial Valley News. August 13, 2009. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- ^ "Two Santa Cruz men arrested in connection with presumed death of missing Los Angeles man Elias Sorokin". santacruzsentinel.com. Retrieved August 21, 2015.
- ^ "Lockheed Fire: Unattended campfire started the 8,000-acre blaze, Cal Fire officials say". santacruzsentinel.com. Retrieved August 21, 2015.
- Santa Cruz Sentinel Article on Lockheed Fire
- "Lockheed Fire: Unattended campfire started the 8,000-acre blaze, Cal Fire officials say". santacruzsentinel.com. Retrieved August 21, 2015.
- Imperial Valley News Article on Lockheed Fire
- Mercury News Article on Lockheed Fire
- CalFire Incident page on Lockheed Fire